DAYS: March 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Maybe for some of January but February was Griffith and Griffith/Milstein - Dena was on her LOA.   Griffith/Higley pairing just did not work.  Since Quan/Higley know each other very well, they'll work better together. 

• Members

I've been watching very carefully since Milstein started and while the stories are still unthinkably misguided, the day-to-day quality has improved and more beats are being played . . . it's wild how effectively Roman has been utilized!  LOL.  I feel like I did with TomSell--if each episode is well crafted, it not only makes the bad storytelling seem more bearable, it makes watching each episode rewarding because of thoughtful interaction and character-driven dialogue.

I also thought today's (3/1) episode was crazy well produced.  The storm and night-to-morning midway transition was great and the camera angles and movement has improved tenfold in the past six months!  Bringing the different characters in at various points worked this time, too; usually, it feels so random for people to show up mid-episode.  But this show felt expensive . . . I don't know if it's cost-effective to insert Dee, Drake, Martha, Kate, and Casey that late in an episode, even though it felt organic and gave the show movement and life.

• Members

Seriously, can't we just steal TomSell's (alleged) idea and reset the damn clock?  Too much character assassination is going on.  I can't think of any OTHER way to redeem all this except to say it was all a horrible nightmare.

• Members

I really do agree with this in large part. I'm actually enjoying Roman a lot lately. They're utilizing him in smart, sensible ways, and the actor is (somewhat) rising to the challenge. And while I preferred the feel of TomSell's storytelling -- even when the stories sucked -- the show does feel less cheap and ridiculous. I hope the positives of the production carry over when the writing change occurs. The stories are just, as you say, misguided at best. I don't think most of this is unsalvageable at the hands of careful writers (aside from Joey brutally murdering Ava. This is much worse than Gabi, a young mother who'd been terrorized for months, shooting an unarmed Nick), but, uh, you know.

• Members

Why does the Horton house always look dark and gloomy ? Did they forget to pay the electric bill ? The set is one of nicest and they need to brighten it up with lighting and maybe a new paint color. They also need to clean the filth off the face on the mantel clock. It drives me crazy.

• Members

I suppose if I had my druthers, I'll take the gloomy lighting. But seriously, can't they find a balance? I'm always seeing backlight, but their faces are in the dark. If they're trying for the "natural daylight" look with sunlight through the windows, they're missing the mark. Even when it's bright and sunny outside, a police precinct (for example) will still have office lights on, as opposed to sitting in the dark during the day. 

I know it's just a soap and I'm wasting my time examining their lighting, but they've been on the air for 50 years and had no problem with the basics for the first 40+

Archived