Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChitHappens

Paul Lee OUT at ABC

25 posts in this topic

This doesn't have anything to do with daytime right? 

They're two different divisions?

I believe it does.  Lee was over ABC entertainment.  Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken. 

I am not a Shonda Rhimes fan and HTGAWM had a very rough first year held together by Viola Davis' incredible performances week to week and a much, much improved second half. I was ready to dump it before it came back from that first fall hiatus. Season 2, IMO, has been much stronger from the beginning and even darker. Unlike other shows we've mentioned, the show keeps changing - it isn't in the same place as it was last week or last year and it doesn't do resets at the end of an episode. But they've all but abandoned the tiresome cases of the week from S1 and it is very serialized, very complicated in terms of who knows what and who did what to who, and just about every character on the show is an amoral murderer. It's not high art but it's a very dark, very not stand-alone soap and I think that's why it may have lower numbers. (I also think some heartland folks got turned off by just how gay and interracial the show is - I never thought I'd see a love scene between Viola Davis and Famke Janssen on ABC.) Regardless, I think it only has one more year in it before they stretch credulity to the breaking point now that everyone on the show is either a murderer or conspirator. I am enjoying it a lot.

I guess I shouldn't have lumped in Murder with the shows I was thinking of, like Scandal. I agree that Murder is great this season, really really great, but even as someone that's watched every episode I find myself wondering what the hell is going on sometimes. Did so-and-so kill whatsherface? It's very...labyrinth-y.

ETA: JESUS CHRIST, how many times do I have to press enter to do a line break on this board???

Edited by Darn

Hasn't Scandal been on for some time now? Isn't it in season 5 or 6 right now? As for HTGAWM….I lost interest close to the end of the first season and didnt even find out who did what….I haven't seen any episodes of Season 2…..was there another mystery introduced after the other one was solved? HTGAWM drop in ratings is alarming considering it is not even done with the second season. The ratings were on fire with 9's and now it barely gets 4's in the HH ratings. It seems all of their audience went to Empire.

One of their problems is the lack of bread-and-butter shows. They have a few, like The Middle, The Goldbergs, etc. but not anywhere enough. Even reliable performers like Shark Tank dropped a lot. And some of their older shows like Castle are just falling apart at the seams, completely obliterated by whatever behind the scenes issues carried the day. I never liked the show because Fillion is a bit too smug for the role and because of the wooden female lead, but my parents loved it for a long time and now they can barely get through an episode.

The only shows I liked from ABC were HTGAWM, The Muppets, Modern Family and Castle. I pretty much have dropped all of them except for MF. I don't see the Muppets lasting much longer anyways. Castle is just an old show that needs its series finale already.

I am not a Shonda Rhimes fan and HTGAWM had a very rough first year held together by Viola Davis' incredible performances week to week and a much, much improved second half. I was ready to dump it before it came back from that first fall hiatus. Season 2, IMO, has been much stronger from the beginning and even darker. Unlike other shows we've mentioned, the show keeps changing - it isn't in the same place as it was last week or last year and it doesn't do resets at the end of an episode. But they've all but abandoned the tiresome cases of the week from S1 and it is very serialized, very complicated in terms of who knows what and who did what to who, and just about every character on the show is an amoral murderer. It's not high art but it's a very dark, very not stand-alone soap and I think that's why it may have lower numbers. (I also think some heartland folks got turned off by just how gay and interracial the show is - I never thought I'd see a love scene between Viola Davis and Famke Janssen on ABC.) Regardless, I think it only has one more year in it before they stretch credulity to the breaking point now that everyone on the show is either a murderer or conspirator. I am enjoying it a lot.

I guess I shouldn't have lumped in Murder with the shows I was thinking of, like Scandal. I agree that Murder is great this season, really really great, but even as someone that's watched every episode I find myself wondering what the hell is going on sometimes. Did so-and-so kill whatsherface? It's very...labyrinth-y.

Thats what I kept thinking about last season and got into watching TNF that I just gave up it last season.

Edited by Soapsuds

The only shows I liked from ABC were HTGAWM, The Muppets, Modern Family and Castle. I pretty much have dropped all of them except for MF. I don't see the Muppets lasting much longer anyways. Castle is just an old show that needs its series finale already.

I wonder if The Muppets is why he's been canned. The PR for the show was poor (who cares about a Piggy/Kermit love breakup?? That isn't what the Muppets were about) and the decision to make the Muppets mean and nasty didn't work...no one but Jim Henson has ever understood them. 

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/paul-lee-abc-2015-2016-season-what-went-wrong.html

Edited by DRW50

http://deadline.com/2016/02/paul-lee-out-abc-president-channing-dungey-1201704333/

Among the things over which the two execs were said to have differed: Sherwood wanted to add to ABC’s primetime slate more procedurals with closed-ended episodes conducive to repeat broadcasts. Lee, however, favored serialized dramas, using other series to bridge the timeslot during times when those dramas went on hiatus – or, as some industry wags liked to call it, during “Paul’s European vacation.”

Procedures? Oh no! What I liked about Paul Lee was that he took chances, sure some failed, but at least he took them. He also preferred serialized shows.  Also, ABC is more multi-cultured now.

I hope ABC doesn't become like CBS.  Seeing that Sherwood prefers procedures scares me. 

Procedurals are easier to get into for new viewers, even in later seasons, they make a lot of money in syndication. That's why CBS has so many and NBC has 3 Chicago shows (and probably a 4th soon). For ABC to survive, it's going to need more procedurals. 

I wonder if The Muppets is why he's been canned. The PR for the show was poor (who cares about a Piggy/Kermit love breakup?? That isn't what the Muppets were about) and the decision to make the Muppets mean and nasty didn't work...no one but Jim Henson has ever understood them. 

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/paul-lee-abc-2015-2016-season-what-went-wrong.html

Actually, that wouldn't surprise me - The Muppets was a high-profile launch, tonnes spent on marketing and a valueable brand for Disney as that could've re-generated interest in past Muppets series, movies and merchandise. If The Muppets had worked out it would've been a commercial for all those things years to come.

http://deadline.com/2016/02/paul-lee-out-abc-president-channing-dungey-1201704333/

Among the things over which the two execs were said to have differed: Sherwood wanted to add to ABC’s primetime slate more procedurals with closed-ended episodes conducive to repeat broadcasts. Lee, however, favored serialized dramas, using other series to bridge the timeslot during times when those dramas went on hiatus – or, as some industry wags liked to call it, during “Paul’s European vacation.”

Procedures? Oh no! What I liked about Paul Lee was that he took chances, sure some failed, but at least he took them. He also preferred serialized shows.  Also, ABC is more multi-cultured now.

I hope ABC doesn't become like CBS.  Seeing that Sherwood prefers procedures scares me. 

Procedurals are easier to get into for new viewers, even in later seasons, they make a lot of money in syndication. That's why CBS has so many and NBC has 3 Chicago shows (and probably a 4th soon). For ABC to survive, it's going to need more procedurals. 

If they would slow down the story somewhat, the serials on ABC could last more than 2 seasons without burning themselves out. Already seeing it happening on HTGAWM, Nashville is told at rapid-fire pace (Rayna has loved and lost how many men since her divorce?), Revenge shot itself in the foot in the second season, etc. Everything is told at such a frenetic pace, it's hard to keep up and remember who did what to whom. 

P.S. Chicago Law is in the works at NBC here in Chicago... :)  

I know.  I'm not thinking from a business standpoint, I'm just thinking about my taste in TV shows - I prefer serialized shows over procedurals, though I do watch some shows with procedural elements that also have serialized aspects (like The Blacklist). 

We'll see how much of a procedural mandate Sherwood will give Dungey.  Here's another scary quote from the NY Times: Mr. Sherwood also wanted ABC to focus more on CBS-style procedural crime series like “N.C.I.S.,” while Mr. Lee continued to back serialized dramas like “Scandal” and “American Crime.”

On 2/17/2016 at 5:38 PM, ChitHappens said:

I believe it does.  Lee was over ABC entertainment.  Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken. 

Never saw this directly responded to, but daytime ("The Chew" and "General Hospital" at least) is part of the ABC Entertainment division, which is now led by Channing Dungey. ABC News oversees "The View," however.