Y&R: February 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My local news preempted for a press conference :mellow:

Opposing views don't bother me so keep that unneeded suggestion. I just see how snarking about a show online can sometimes take away from the enjoyment. Its the same reason I avoid spoilers now.

No, I meant her death is when the writing seemed to flip for the better for Sharon.

Agreed. The last creep played him like such an obnoxious, polarizing mustache twirler it was hard to watch. Hartley is a lot more likable and sells the "daddy didn't care" bitterness and angst so much better

Victor brought Luca's family in to save Newman after the Paragon virus sold off a bunch of Newman's assets. After he blackmailed Jack into paying him millions to keep quiet about Billy and Phyllis taking over Paragon, Victor tried to buy out the Santori's but they refused. Adam conned Luca into turning over info about his father's illegal activities but Luca turned it around and used Noah running Billy over to blackmail them. Then Noah decided to team up with Luca to take Victor down but Victor ended up turning him in. Now Victor blames Luca for the Noah's mess and are just trying to be rid of him but he's taken an interest in Summer and this new tech project.

• Members

I was just thinking during the Valentine's Day snarkfest that they've given the Mariah lines directly to Natalie. And I wouldn't mind Natalie being a product of that liaison - she has to be related to someone on the canvas. 

I hate to admit be HK has actually been more than watchable since her re-emergence. A pairing with Luca would certainly help his character. 

Is it just me or does EB seem far more alive when he interacts with the younger set + JH/MCE? Far more than with Jack, Victoria, Nick, etc. I really don't mind TGVN taking numbers and just steamrolling everyone. How boring -and out of character - would Victor be if he suddenly and voluntarily became passive and bland (aka Aunt Jack)?  

I do like it when Nikki acts more like a Newman than a victim. 

I don't like that Noah/Marissa may get boxed in. SP is far too valuable to lock her in to a deadend relationship.

• Members

First of all, you don't need to be condescending like that. If you didn't mean to, or are not aware of how it comes off, I am pointing it out to you so you know. :) 

Second, if you say, in the same damn line, that "opposing views don't bother me" and right after say, "snarking about a show online can sometimes take away from the enjoyment," you are contradicting yourself. If it takes away from your enjoyment, then it bothers you. It's why you react the way you react.

Third, how I DETEST when those who insist they will post online because it's their right to and you won't tell me what to do!!! constantly feel the need to bitch and moan when others (or MOST) fairly criticize the show. In one breath they demand that people just stop criticizing the show they enjoy while at the same time asserting their right to say that they like it. 

I have some truth for those who enjoy the show: You are like that part of the audience that LOVED Cartini's GH and defended it nonstop here, on Twitter, Facebook, knitting parties, soap cruises, etc (although Y&R isn't nearly as bad as GH, of course). That's fine. Really. Good for you. Somebody needs to. Y'all just need to know you are those fans, though. :lol: :lol::lol:

• Members

Umm no. This is the attitude that I object to and the part that is actually condescending about this entire thread. Acting or in some cases outright saying that those of us who don't find the show completely awful are crazy, wrong or have bad taste. State your opinion of why it's bad all you like, but don't tell me who or what I am based on the fact that I can find something to like on this show. That's been happening a lot lately (not singling you out YRBB, I enjoy posting with you).

It doesn't even matter that much to me. I spend too much time on Daytime Dish back in the day to really be bothered by anything on this board. Still,  I can see why some people get annoyed when the critique turns to their opinion instead of sticking to opinion about the show.

• Members

I'm not talking about you, boo. For the most part, you seem to recognize that, by and large, the show is bad, but still find things that you enjoy. You don't feel like you need (as far as I see) to follow up criticizing posts with but I love it!!!! and act insulted and hurt because others don't. 

The truth of the matter is, the show is horrid. Absolutely dreadful, utter shιt! And people can still like it! Hell, even I have enjoyed moments here and there. But I still recognize it is show-destroying, plot-driven dreck. I've never understood why liking a show needs to mean = it is good. I like/love PLENTY of shows that are utter crap (example: MODELS, INC.). Just because I like them doesn't mean they are objectively any good. There are also shows I don't like that are well written and interesting. I can see that difference.

At the end of the day, however, it's very simple: Y&R fans who love the show are the equivalent of GH fans who love the show. They just are. The same way you feel about those defending GH's writing is the same way other feel for those who say Y&R is good. It's one and the same. That's not telling you (or any "you") who or what you are as people. There was also never any assumption (from my part) that those people are crazy or trolls (with the exception of one person we all know...).

• Members

My post wasn't anymore condescending than you and GMac's so I guess we'll all be that together then

My original comment was more about the general act of even going on a forum and posting about a show at all. There are a lot of shows I watch that I don't even bother posting online about and I've found I tend to enjoy the experience of watching them more because once they're over, I don't give them another thought until its time for the next episode. Posting about Y&R has started feeling like more of an investment than I care to give at this point, so I get why others stopped.

That post wasn't contradictory because like I said, someone criticizing the show doesn't bother me, in fact if you go through the threads I'm usually one of the first ones giving out a critique or acknowledging the validity of one. Me saying I've enjoyed the last few episode isn't an attack on those who didn't, its just me stating my own feelings which is what everyone has a right to do! 

I don't come in these threads telling people to shut up and stop watching if they don't enjoy it or that they have horrid taste if they do like it (the latter is your MO), so don't try and put that on me. You're the one who seems hellbent on starting a fight between those who enjoy the show and those who don't and you've been doing it for a while. Yet another reason I get why some folks don't even partake in discussions.

• Members

Well, after you've been condescending, don't act surprised when someone gives it right back at ya. But the truth is, you have yet to see condescension from me. ;) Believe me, you'll know when you see it.

I'm honestly not sure what you're saying here or what that has to do with anything....

This is what I'm trying to get you to understand: No one who doesn't like this show here has ever, in my knowledge, claimed or acted like they were attacked because you and a couple others say they do. It's the complete opposite.

Posts like, "well, I liked it. Whatever!" or something to that effect being the perfect example. Like, why you so butthurt? lol

LMAO! No, really, LMAO!!!! Are you just making up stuff because you have no other way to counter? Show me ONE post where I said people have bad taste. Go ahead. I dare you. I have an MO? LMAO!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: Seriously!

I don't understand it, but anything beyond that is your imagination and conjecture. Your assumptions. So, yes, I will put it on you.

Again, LMAO! I post... um... a handful of times a month? Usually about the horrible state of the show, and that's "trying to start a fight between those who enjoy the show those who don't"? And I've also been doing it for a while? Have you confused me with that Phyllis stan? What the hell. SHOW ME POSTS.

What are you talking about? Are you making stuff up again? You're one of the most frequent posters in the Y&R threads. What on Earth are you talking about????

Here's some advice (don't care if you take it or not): Stop acting insulted and pissed when the majority doesn't agree with you, resulting in your acting out. I see now that you will always have a victim attitude and it's useless to even bother engaging in conversation with you about that. So, I'll leave it at that. But, please, for the love of God, just accept that you like a sh!t show and do not take it personally when others more than justifiably point that out to you. Embrace it, accept it! Muah!

Ain't that the truth! The reality is, none of the soaps are really worth the time we give them, anyway. Still, I'm sorry you got dragged into this. Not my intention!

• Members

That whole "oh you haven't seen me do such and such" act is so corny and played, especially on the internet.

Rhinohide's post that I referenced was about not bothering to talk about the show on the internet because she'd rather not have it hinder her viewing experience. My original post was about coming to understand that. You and GMac were the ones taking it as if I was throwing shots and being bitter over people critiquing the show, which isn't the case. Like I said, I've often agreed with criticism, its never bothered me

The bold is exactly what your last few posts have been. "You guys can't handle people not liking the show you're just like the GH fans wah wah wah"

Me saying "Well I liked todays episode" and talking about why is just me giving my opinion. There was no dismissive "whatever" or any butthurt. I've started posts by saying "Well this episode was a waste" was that an attack on people who liked it then?

Hmmm...

Please register in order to view this content

And clearly I wasn't referring to myself, it was another example of a reason other folks don't even bother posting anymore.

I've never cared whether people agreed with me or not and I've got not victim complex. You jumped up quoting me whining about people should be free to critique the show when I've never told anyone they couldn't. If engaging in conversation with me is so useless you shouldn't have hit the quote button in the first place.

And I've never had a problem saying the show is typical soap crap that entertains me, my posts more than reflect that.

• Members

Really?   Perhaps it is you that can't handle opposing viewpoints.  You should refrain from responding  

@detroitpiston   I was really enjoying it and still do when I get the chance  my elderly FIL has moved in with us so life gets in the way   Maybe I enjoy it more because I can't watch every day and it's truly become my guilty pleasure   I think the stories are really good and I'm intrigued.  Occasionally the execution falters, but overall I think it's stellar soap  

overall I still care about what's going to happen for each of the characters next  even those I'm not all that invested in.  Ultimately, that's what makes it compelling to me   I don't need anyone to tell me I'm half-baked because I enjoy it, or explain to me all the reasons I'm so obviously wrong.  It's not that serious  

• Members

Pretending to think someone/something's condescending just to have something to reply is what's corny and played. Stop embarrassing yourself. 

The reason you got yourself into this is because you were unnecessarily condescending. You have nobody to blame but yourself.

Try again.

Mentioning your inability to deal with the fact that you are in the minority does not make an attack. It's simply the truth. You just want everyone to simply shut up because you enjoy the show. Too bad! 

That would be a relevant question if I had ever made such a claim. 

Keep thinking, maybe you'll figure it out. But it's good to hear I have an M.O.--I never knew!!! :lol:

:lol: 

So, because I don't see it, please point out where I said people have bad taste? Or do those two posts not go back to two things I said:

and

So, either you don't get this, or you're being purposefully obtuse.

Either way, it's been addressed, and therefore renders your "receipts" null and void.

Did you really think I'd challenge you to show me posts if I had said such a thing? :lol:

Try again.

Also, in case you missed it, let me requote the post of mine you quoted:

So, clearly, not what you claim I said.

Yes, you're playing victim. Deal with the fact that you are in the minority that, somehow, for some reason, likes a crappy show. It's Okay. IT'S OKAY. You don't have to defend your honor because a lot of people disagree with you. But I'll be damned if we don't mention how the show that so brilliantly did drama for 30 years is now monkeyshit. About that, I am bitter -- it was unnecessary and completely avoidable to dismantle the show.

If you really have no problem with it, don't object and respond the way you did.

And, in all fairness, I didn't realize it would be useless discussing your victimhood with you until I did. (Please note the italicized, for that is what I actually said about conversing with you, not stuff you made up. Again. Because you're a victim). 

In any case, I agree with you on a lot of your thoughts (like the bettering of Adam, JH, etc). I just really, really wish you could offer your opinion and stop with the whiny "well" and "I like it" and "it entertains me." It communicates anger and annoyance about people not agreeing with you and you know it.

^_^

Archived