Active shooters in San Bernadino, CA...12 dead

ChitHappens

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, when people throw the NRA fellating republicans out, as well as rogue democrats like Bernie Sanders and others who sell out to get elected in NRA loving states.     If people want to stop gun shooting, all you have to do is get rid of the guns.   It is literally that simple.   America doesn't want to get rid of guns, therefore America does not want to get rid of gun shootings.   The country craves mass murderers, no two ways to look at it.

• Members

People stood up. Congress didn't care.

If I was Obama I'd just start throwing out the Bush-style executive orders (as flimsy to uphold as they can be) and let the chips fall where they may. Good luck impeaching him next year, it won't happen.

• Members

Could not agree more.  

Nope.  It won't.  As much as my heart goes out to the victims of this and other, recent mass shootings, at the same time, I've begun accepting these sorts of events as part of life in the United States.  Either we won't entertain serious discussions about gun control (ones which throw aside the rhetoric, the specious anecdotal evidence and the outrageous (and IMO, illogical) fears and paranoia, and gets down to what KL's Linda Fairgate would have called "brass tacks"); or, if we do start the discussions, those who most need to listen (meaning, Congress, state and local politicians, gun manufacturers and lobbyists) refuse to do so.  It's a war we just can't win.

• Members

People stood up after Sandy Hook. I personally joined two gun control organizations and started donating money. I started contacting my elected representatives. We actually managed to pass a gun control bill in the city of Cleveland. We've also had a number of other successes. They are small and incremental and don't get reported on by the news because the media prefers to focus on the horserace aspect of elections but they are there. It took decades for this country to become the quagmire of gun insanity it is and it will take decades to fix and unfortunately it will entail taking some guns out of some cold dead hands but it's possible. There's a reason it's becoming easier for candidates to campaign on gun safety. America is getting fed up. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

I think Bamz has got a few things up his sleeve but I also think he needs to be careful so that he doesn't do so much it becomes a turnout situation that could hurt Hillary.

• Members

OK, a small number of people stood up in a limited way. Yet all these Republican gun nuts were still reelected. When I stay stand up, I mean large numbers of people demanding that our politicians stop selling their souls to the NRA or look for another job. We can't even get background checks in many states, a point Obama made rather well today.

Marceline, as always I admire your optimism. It just shouldn't be this hard to enact common sense gun laws. It sure as hell shouldn't take decades. 

• Members

The problem is that you do not have enough elected officials willing to cast votes in favor of gun control even if it jeopardizes their seats. The gun control that would help prevent more of these types of shootings wouldn't even adversely effect gun owners who follow the law and are sane, but the NRA has gone on a campaign of lies that has made people believe the contrary. If gun control laws were put on the books, I guarantee that they would stay there and not be touched, because the Supreme Court has already said that the right to gun ownership is not unlimited.

• Members

Can't it be both? Because what you're saying makes a lot of sense to me. I think we are still reaching a tipping point. If Trump does one good thing for America next year it's the very real possibility that his presence may completely annihilate the Republican numbers in the House - something a lot of Republican advisors and sitting officials are very concerned about. And if they lose the House (or the Senate) that is a start.

People are talking about gun control, have been, especially since Sandy Hook. It's Congress which is afraid of the discussion because they want their seats.

Archived