R.I.P. David Canary (AMC)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My condolences to the Canary family and All My Children family. I watched the final months of ABC's All My Children and I clearly remember Canary being a great actor in those final months. I also know that he was a classic soap icon. Not just if AMC but to all of our soaps. A true legend. May he rest in peace. 

• Members

Instead of showing a current GH episode, couldn't ABC show a classic AMC episode featuring Canary's work?   Too bad SoapNet is not around these days to air some type of tribute.  I didn't grow up watching AMC, but even I knew who David Canary was.  It just seems like ABC Daytime should do something for an actor who netted them so many Emmys and accolades.

R.I.P.  to a great actor and portrayer of a lasting daytime character, two, really.

• Members

Cameron and Mr. Canary were birthday buddies, something I've always remembered because I also share that day with them.

I idolized the man, so many priceless memories.  One of my earliest memories of DC on AMC was Stuart sneaking out of a secret passage and cracking a vase over Ellen's skull.  She literally didn't know what hit her.

• Members

Honestly, I do think that FV has a mix of nostalgia and respect for classic ABC daytime (I'm not looking for an argument, you know what I mean) that he of all EPs would consider dedicating an episode to DC.  Such might be deemed "inappropriate"/"confusing", but I think it would be a classy move. I actually sat through The View today hoping they might pay him tribute.

• Members

I am not sure what I could say on this topic to truly express the (odd) feelings I have regarding DC's passing.

Odd, because I never knew him, truly. I only knew the characters he portrayed, Adam and Stuart Chandler. Odd, yet, here I sit, heart heavy, eyes misty. Because he was one of my "family." My grandmother and mother watched All My Children as I grew up. After I had become a serious watcher, it took me a few months, but I realized I was watching for Adam; a feeling I so keenly noticed when he was gone that final network year.  He not only gave us two vastly different characters in Adam and Stuart, but he also constantly found new layers inside each of them. He was AMC's "JR Ewing," but he was so much more as Adam. "Blast it, woman!" He was AMC's naive innocent, but he found the depths of Stuart as more than just a simpleton. He was a constant presence on the show, if not front and center, ranting and raving in the background; pleading with Brooke, arguing with Hayley, sparring with Palmer, flirting with Erica. Like one of the family. Like soaps are meant to be. Family. This is what current soap-makers do not get. We aren't passing down the soaps, as from my grandmother to my mother to me. Odd, because when AMC left, part of my "family" left too.

These actors/characters in this genre have such a peculiar role they play in our lives. Seemingly a friend, but oddly, no. Mr. Canary had a sense of this, as he so eloquently said in that first Emmy video above. Such a master as an actor. Such a class act as a human being. He will be missed, yes, but it is the passing of our "family" that I equally miss.

Archived