R.I.P. David Canary (AMC)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This really is true. He gave wonderful performances as both men, yet for the most part managed to make them different, but not too different. He also never relied on props or easy gimmicks. 

He was an incredible actor - even with 5 Emmys I'd say he was underrated. He worked well as heel, antihero, comic relief, and romantic lead. It's hard to think of a woman he DIDN'T have chemistry with, really. 

I think my favorite of all his pairings was Stuart and Marian - he and Jennifer Bassey were just sublime.  

Stuart was one of my very favorite soap characters of all time. I just loved him and everything he added to the canvas of Pine Valley - heart, humility, community, dignity. I'm so glad that Canary got to play both brothers one last time, as it always should have been.

And I loved his relationships with Adam's kids. I still remember the scenes with Carrie Genzel's Skye when Adam disowned her, and Stuart comforted her in her devastation. Same actor, totally different moods, layers, beats, and chemistry with her.

I also remember the scene where Hayley couldn't marry Mateo because of being raped by Tanner Jordan, when Adam went to check on her before the walk down the aisle, and she was so fragile, shaking, crying. Adam was so tender with her...Canary, unlike some soap actors, was not afraid to play this, was not afraid to be seen as "weak."

I have so many wonderful memories of David Canary, which seems callous to say in light of his Alzheimer's, but it's true.

Above all else I will remember his big beautiful smile...and I hope Stuart was there to welcome him into a new life.

• Members

When it's all said and done, if I had to pick one leading man to stand beside Susan to represent All My Children, it would be David Canary. This loss is huge for the entire AMC community. No matter how bad things got, DC was a committed player, and I might even say that that's what kept him at the forefront until the very end. He gave his all, and his legacy will live on in the hearts and minds of all generations of viewers.

• Members

I know this is going to come across as petulant but I really hate the fact that the show is gone and that means neither the actor nor the characters will get the farewell and tributes he/they deserved. There should be a whole week of flashbacks and memories. There should be people returning to the show to say goodbye: Skye, JR, Haley, and Marian. There should be scenes of Brooke and Erica and Dixie and Marcy Walker's Liza talking about him even as they gently snipe at each other. I want flashbacks of scenes with Phoebe and Myrtle and Palmer. 

He was such a big part of what made AMC great and I hate that the show isn't here to acknowledge and celebrate that.

• Members

I think the fact that the show came back as great as it did (IMO) is partly a testament to his and other longtimers' endless skill, talent and longevity. He was still there and towering at the end on ABC, and despite the fact that his appearances were rare online and they were clearly working with restrictions, his presence and Adam's family and legacy still powered the show. They knew all they had to do was show Adam standing tall at a gala and they had a big moment. His lover longed for him, his children struggled to prove themselves to him and make themselves worthy of his empire right to the end. IIRC, much of their unintended final episode was still all about the towering force of Adam in that family and that world.

Archived