The worst era's in soap opera's.

• Members

that long, eh? This was during the time I would sporadically read up on what was happening with the soaps and cringe, instead of watching.  Only really got back into them once GL's cancelation was announced, so my timelines are a bit off in some cases, I will admit. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I go much, much, MUCH further back.  Just as OLTL never really came back from Eterna (IMO), AMC never really came back from the well Janet threw Natalie in.  It had its moments, but even then, as the story was unfolding, I felt the show morphing into something I didn't care for.

• Members

Days: 1989(anne howard bailey was the drizzling shits) 2005-2015

AMC: def the mid 2000's till 2010

ATWT: Those last couple of "smart tv" years

GL: The last couple years of peapack is when I gave up

OLTL: 1988-1991, also the last few years

Y&R: 2005-present. Probably the same for B&B

I dont think GH was ever my cup of tea except for a few years in the 90s.

• Members

GL: Mid-2000 to mid-2002 was pretty awful. In hindsight, I wish I had stuck it through and watched, knowing now what it became after 2005. The Santos uprising, NuMichelle, Catalina, May Merisi, Beth & Edmund and the endless San Cristobel baby drama...  2005 to The End was not Guiding Light. It had the same name, but the show was literally a shell, complete with a rotating Beacon Hotel Room where everyone lived, and the weird tiki green hospital that Cedars had morphed into. 

DAYS: 1998-1999; 2003-2006 Reilly's 2.0 era in Salem. It's been mostly miss and few hits ever since. 

• Members

I definitely agree for DOOL it was the JER 2003-2006 era.  I liked JER's first term on DOOL with the exception of Mardevil and later Princess Gina.    But he must have been a huge fan of the old  ABC Movie Of The Week  series because he ripped off the plots from those movies left and right.   "Lady In The Cage" and such , heck even his first biggie SL  "Carly Buried Alive"  was ripped from the 1972  ABC Movie Of The Week  " The Longest Night" starring David Janssen.  Based on true events I believe. 

• Members

If we're going that far back, I'd say when ratings fell in 1988 and they responded by demoting Lorraine Broderick (who'd done a damn good job in 1987) and firing a ton of actors (or giving them nothing to do until they quit) and bringing in a ton of new, not all that interesting characters. Yes, some of it paid off, but it robbed AMC of its identity, and aside from a few periods when Broderick or McTavish (yes, I said McTavish) were writing, it never really seemed to find its identity ever again.

• Members

Yeah, I definitely see why they needed to make changes, as the show was all over the place and too "big," and there were decisions at that time I just don't understand (like that foolishness with breaking Natalie and Jeremy up via Marisa Rampal almost as soon as they married), but I don't think they needed to change as much as they did. The show feels vacant to me in a lot of the 1989 and 1990 material I've seen, very generic. And then there's that mess with Genie Francis...

Archived