Victoria Rowell Retaliation suit dissmissed by federal judge

• Members

I wouldn't wish any of the soaps on her at this point....not because of the lawsuit but just because they would most likely waste her anyways....and the thing is I have read so many "what if" stories for different soap roles for her (besides Y&R obviously) and the more I hear them, the more depressing it is since it would probably not work out that way anyways...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1's on both accounts. I held up out hope with Y&R, CBS Daytime and Sony being under different management since then and Rowell occasionally crashing Y&R parties with no one caring she did(see Eric Braeden's 30th anniversary party) that something good might happen. I had even hoped that Hilary was to be a long lost daughter of Dru from her street days. Dru can easily be recast at anytime (see Stafford and Phyllis LOL) At least Dru has remained untouched. 

• Members

I think they would have been open to bringing her back by now (in fact, I think one or two of the last couple regimes supposedly wanted to) if not for this relentless nonsense. Which, sadly, is all about her wanting to come back.

• Members

VR has nobody but herself to blame when u call Steve Kent and Les Moonves racists that's it. Her lawsuit was so frivolous because she quit in 2007 with notice. No company is ever obliged to rehire you after you leave. If u want to come back it's up to their discretion. They can legally deny to rehire you. Jill wouldn't touch her with a 10 foot pole.

• Members

An on-set brawl with a coworker is much different than publicly bashing your former employer and making serious allegations (regardless of if they are true) against them for years and years at the time. ANYONE who has acted the way she has would find themselves hard pressed to get back on the show.

• Members

I've actually had private email exchanges with VR on the subject - even though some of our views are different - she certainly is NOT some loose cannon who is unable to hear other voices. She is very passionate about the subject and has made some very valid points - especially on the lack of diversity behind the scenes. Again, her public statements are off-putting to many people, but they have gotten attention and encouraged discussion. I really hope they can work out some type of deal that makes everyone happy, including the fans. I do think it's interesting that the door has been left open all these years. After all, anytime during the past 8 years, the show could have decided to 'find' Dru's body to give permanent closure to the entire Winters/Barber family, but they haven't.

Fighting against Hollywood isn't easy, especially if you are a woman. But sometimes it's worth the effort for the greater good: Hunter Tylo's landmark case forever changed an actor's ability to be pregnant and not lose her job. It's funny how suddenly the writers and directors were able to come up with all sorts of creative ways to work around a 'belly' when the character wasn't pregnant, but it was pretty much career suicide for an actor before that decision was handed down. And think how many gifted and beloved actor may have lost their jobs in primetime and daytime (the most impacted) during the past 20 years if not for that case. 

• Members

I am still in VR's corner. I see where she is coming from, I will say her presentation on the issues leaves a lot to be desired and it has put a lot of people off. I do hope for a return of Drucilla, Victoria's portrayal added so much life to the show.

• Members

I wanna know what attorney took this case? It obviously didn't have a PRAYER, there is no precedent for this kind of successful legal action, Vicky just made some lawyer richer, that's all. She knew what happened to Dickson and her suit, and Brenda actually had Doctor's statements, Vicky had squat.

• Members

Victoria's problem is that the issue of 'retaliation' can't exist prospectively. Victoria's allegations about what took place prior to her leaving cannot constitute 'retaliation'...nobody can be forced to rehire someone they've fired and Victoria seemed to have very high expectations. 

This was a hopeless lawsuit and her lawyer, who is extremely experiences counsel who has enjoyed much success, likely had difficulty tempering her expectations about what was realistically achievable in this lawsuit. CBS/Sony/Corday/Bell was never going to settle, the precedent set would have been far too dangerous.  

Archived