Subjects that are taboo in soaps?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Laura who was adopted by Brooke was a victim of abuse as a child on All My Children. Kim Brady was molested by her Uncle Eric on Days, this happened off screen as we only met her as an adult. (Of course, the fact that Eric Brady is named after an abuser is problematic.) 

• Members

I know that it has happened off screen and then mentioned as the character is an adult as being a part of their past or a way of explaining the characters actions, but I always wondered if the story has been done ON screen. I guess that stuff would be way to sensitive to show

• Members

Another subject I haven't seen soaps do, and maybe I'm wrong but has RACISM ever been explored on soaps? as a factor in interracial relationships and what not?

I changed the title to make my question a little more broad 

• Members

Homosexuality is was/still is a subject soaps don't explore very much, and when they do its all kinds of cheesy and awkward even for me to watch (as a gay man) 

I think that clearly, soaps don't know how to write for certain subjects either. Or different races 

Your right I haven't. I've only watched about three soap operas regularly my whole life and that would be Y&R, Days and Passions. I always heard about the stereotypical soap storylines involving amnesia, WTD, characters returning from the dead etc. But I never exactly thought of soaps as being known for tackling certain subjects such as race, homosexuality etc 

• Members

LOL...Passions had the biggest racist of all time, Alistar Crane. Rebecca was also openly racist. I think PSSN was more blatant and blunt with its racism than any other soap as they had these two characters own it and give zero f--ks. Its rare to see regular characters be like that as its usually short term characters that are that bad

Archived