Y&R: November 2015 Thread

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to give it to Bryton he did a pretty good job with his scenes with Neil yesterday. They need to just wrap this story along with others up ASAP. 

On a SN: can Somone tell me some of the sweep stories Billl bell wrote and what  a typical sweep month was like. I was a little to young to remember. 

• Members

Of the CBS soaps that I watched, even as a kid in the 80s, it didn't seem as though Sweeps became a 'thing' until toward the late 80s, when it was left up to the shows to promote the network.  Primetime had been doing sweeps but with Daytime's popularity being recognized, some of that responsibility to promote the network also fell on Daytime shows by the late 80s.  That's my take on it anyway, from watching lots of YT classic episodes and having the opportunity to see ads, show bumpers and promos, etc.

But yeah, the greats were smart enough to know that audiences wanted to be kept entertained and intrigued throughout the year, not just for a few weeks per year.  The spring and summer produced lots of great storylines back then.

• Members

I wish I could find Classic Y&R episodes online. It's not as easy as it is for DOOL. I remember there were some 90's full Y&R episodes on YouTube but they keep getting taken down. Now you can't find anything even from 3 years ago. 

• Members

So according to today's show Dr. Mad Scientist Neville has set up a lab in a Motel 6 on Route 8 outside GC.  This info I got from the brilliant dialog between Dylan and Dr. Neville.  Dr. Neville asks Dylan what gives him the authority to bust into his room and start making threats and Dylan actually says "the police commissioner is my Dad".  Dylan also says "you won't like me when I'm angry" which I believe is from the Incredible Hulk which Dylan clearly isn't.  His superpower is being annoying and having a police commissioner for a dad.  

Then there's Sharon and the 15 pound newborn she doesn't remember having.  She had a miscarriage, had no possibility of being pregnant and yet delivered this gigantic baby.  What's wrong with this picture Sharon?  She must have an IQ of about 10.

On the upside there were some good soapy scenes with Hilary, Devon and Neil.  Hilary's a ticking time bomb and eventually she's going to remember she's in love with Devon.  Hopefully that information doesn't kill her or make her want to jump off a building and hopefully it doesn't all come flooding back when she's having sex with Neil.

• Members

More like the writers think we have an IQ of 10. Either that or they just don't GAF. I'm pretty much used to having my intelligence insulted by modern soaps, but this Sharon story is just :rolleyes:. Sharon's had 4 live children, she knows what happens after giving birth. 

• Members

Is it me or does Doug Davidson look a lot better these days?  He definitely toned up some recently, because not long ago I thought he was starting to look a little bloaty(a la Tyler Christopher)...

Not only has Upchuck driven the bus over Sharon, he lobotomized her, too... I will say Bogush has come alive the past several episodes.  There must have been a bad scientist convention in Wisconsin this year....

• Members

Sharon was drugged and hallucinated her 9 month pregnancy. Its possible she lost track of all space and time. So I will let that slide. But she seems very lucid now. She should know something is wrong. She should know that she hasn't had a baby in the past couple of weeks. I mean, its hard to mistake.

This ending to Neil's story is terrible. It's a carbon copy of Victor's. Not only will there be no criminal punishment from the law, there won't be any social punishment from family or friends either. One episode of a tongue lashing from Devon is all. Neil has lost nothing...and gained the loyalty and love of his victim as punishment. How anticlimactic and sick! I hope the fans pass on the  next OTT story Pratt pens. That's the only way to get this loon out. Low ratings.

I'll give Hilary until Valentine's day to remember Devon. If she doesn't, I doubt MiM is long for the show. Her desperation for Neil reeks of a foray into crazy land...and an exit story. 

• Members

The problem with Y&R is that every storyline requests a complete suspension of disbelief. We gave to let everything "slide."

Everyone lost their marbles, ¾ of the characters are caricatures.

Psychos/villains are running all around town all the time. They're like bugs you squash but they somehow manage to survive and always come back for more.

No real romance. Nothing.

Archived