Y&R: November 2015 Thread

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This used to be my all-time fave soap opera. This show used to know how to make great stories. It's funny that Y&R is the only soap that it so far from what it used to be. On all the other three soaps, there is something that at least somewhat resembles what it's always been (good or bad). With Y&R, it's a completely different show. Sometimes I try to watch but this show is so nonsensical and spastic. It's frustrating. It's badly written with some pretty terrible and nauseating characters (Sage, Victor, Stitch are the main three that come to mind) leading stories.

TBH, I liked Pratt when he wrote GH (unpopular opinion-- was not my fave era of the show, mind you -- but I did enjoy it for the most part). Here on Y&R, he has really ruined the show and ripped out its soul. I liked what Griffith was doing with the show. He brought it back from the dreck that was MAB latter years. But with Pratt, this is the worse shape Y&R has ever been. None of these characters even act like themselves. Even with the mucky vision from LML and MAB (both, who were good at the beginning and then bombed fast), Pratt is the only headwriter, who seems not to understand who these characters are at all. Neil, Phyllis, Sharon, Jill, Ashley are all glaring examples of this. All my opinion, of course. 

• Members

Yeah I don't see a Phick redo, tho JM and GT gushed over their passionate screen test, TPTB are Nage/Phack stans, but hey as  long as Cray Headbob ain't involved,i am good!

ooooh Victor got something on the judge, bet he hit that too lol

• Members

Well, I agree with much of what you said (I can't vouch for GH as I haven't watched it when he was writing it).  I've been watching a lot of classic soap lately and I've stayed away from Classic Y&R knowing that as infrequently as I watch these days, I still wouldn't be able to get through an episode of the current craptastic storylines if I'm referencing it against classic Y&R.

Griffith could be boring at times but at the same point that he had gotten to in his writing stint that Pratt is at now, Griffith was doing so much better, particularly with character development.  And I was more patient with the beginning of his writing regime since I knew he had a lot of damage to try to undo from the end of MAB's regime.  Pratt only seems to focus story when it has to do with explosions, crashes and fires but actual character development and revealing character through story is clearly not his forte-- not even close.

A fittingly basic pairing for a basic show at this point.  Perhaps since

Archived