Y&R: November 2015 Thread

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Morrow hasn't been nominated for any Emmy since the late '90s. That was also the last time he actually acted. Sullivan doesn't fit a tragic dasmal in distress role either and I feel her come more alive in her scenes with Hartley than anything with Morrow. 

Only part of the episode I liked was Victor dropping Christian's true paternity on Adam. I like the vibe between Braeden and Hartley miles better than the chauvinistic and smarmy smugness between Braeden and Muhney. 

I agree with this completely. I just feel it may be time to give it at least a break for a moment at least let Jabot and Newman have separate storylines like Jabot going after a bigger fish itself or Victor having to face off with someone else he trampled on in the past. Or at least give us something similar to 2003 where it was just about pure competition over who has the more successful product as opposed to wanting the complete annihilation, obliteration, and conquest of each other. 

• Members

I'm not saying Jack and Victor have to become Genoa City and Y&R's answer to GL's H.B. Lewis and Henry Chamberlain...but, yeah, the feud between the two is past being tired.  Just let the two accept they can't beat each other no matter what, have them realize they could co-exist in GC without becoming mortal enemies or best buds, and then let them (and us) get on with something else.

• Members

The problem is Jack needs Victor (these days) to exist.

The Newmans are horribly written & acted but there's enough of them (Nikki, Noah, Victoria, Faith, Nicholas, Sharon, Abby, Dylan, Mariah, Adam, Chelsea, Summer) to keep Victor in story without Jack.

Jack isn't as lucky. The Abbotts who aren't dead (John, Colleen, Brad) are either recurring (Traci, Steve, Kyle), M.I.A. (Mamie, Keemo) or irrelevant (Ashley, Billy) leaving Jack with nothing to do.

• Members

Y&R either needs to write Jack off or commit to transitioning him into the new Abbott patriarch.

There's no reason especially in this day & age (besides the obvious) why Keemo isn't strongly frontburner.

If Y&R insists on keeping the Newman/Abbott war going Keemo/Billy/Kyle vs. Nicholas/Adam/Noah is much fresher angle than another boring Victor & Jack retread.

• Members

I keep saying this everytime someone says the rivalry is tired, they should write them out, they're played out. The reality is, if they had continued to be well-written, Jill/Katherine (pre passing of JC, of course) and Jack/Victor would have never become tired. Especially the Newman feud, it would have spread and been taken over by the next generation and the one after it and the one after it. It was impossible to get it wrong--and they did!

Considering how decimated the Abbotts are, every character could help, and Keemo should be around. 

• Members

The biggest difference between Jac and Victor is the Newmans have flourished while the Abbotts have not.  Jack, a real playboy (TL days) has one kid from Vietnam, and one from Diane...Ashley's kids (save Abby) never make it, and Colleen is dead...Why doesn't Jack have other children?  This is the problem for the Abbotts. Writers haven't given them a fair shake. The Newmans and Abbotts feud would be more interesting if we had some more Abbotts.

Jack/Victor should have started to heal the rift (or just gone in different directions long ago)... And Nicholas should be neutered...

• Members

Jack doesn't need more children. What he needs is for Y&R to write for the ones he has now. This is the third Kyle in three years & none of them had anything interesting to do & the show acts like Keemo doesn't exist to please an actor who's willing to let his character become more irrelevant than do his job.

That lack of direction isn't isolated to the younger generation of Abbotts because the only thing keeping Noah, Abby & Summer from being just as adrift as Kyle is their Newman ties (Reed can't even get SORASed) & despite Y&R making the horrible decision to kill off Colleen there's no reason (besides Beth Maitland being over 50 & larger than a size 2) that Traci & Steve shouldn't be as vital to Y&R as the other Abbotts.

Y&R's biggest problem was making the Newmans the show's de facto family to the detriment of every other core family on the show.

There are a ton of Chancellors (in addition to Devon) but a new viewer wouldn't have any idea about that because Y&R refuses to write for them. Yet they have no problem giving Victoria, Nick and/or Sharon a new kid every 5-7 years.

Archived