Days: November 2015 Discussion Thread

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Today's show. I'm just watching the Hope/Bo story-line related stuff for with DAYS. I DVR due to work, so ultimately I don't have to watch more than what I'm interested in.

So, I wasn't expecting much because this is one-take, 6-months ahead, 99 cents sets DAYS, but I was impressed. When the spoilers said, Hope attacks Steve and Kayla, I was expecting something much different to play out today. Kudos to KA, SN and MBE. Kudos to DAYS for keeping Rafe out of this story for two straight episodes and hopefully counting.

I did have four WTF moments: 1) why didn't Hope start CPR or call 911? 2) are benches not bound to the ground in DAYS parks? 3) Why was it only snowing where Bo and Hope were? 4) Did Steve just move Hope away just to cuddle Bo himself?, but meh.

I loved how tender Hope was with Bo, and even the way she kept crawling over his body. In the fantasy land of soaps, in the history of Bo and Hope ... if anything had the chance of bringing him back from the dead it probably would have been her cuddling him and kissing him. It felt right. It felt like she believed it could work somewhere deep down and that made it extra sad. Her not wanting to give up on him or leave him, I so get that. Even in the best of circumstances that is there, "what could I have done different to prevent this? how could I have made each moment more?" I held the tears in until that mid-point scene with Bo/Hope/Steve/Kayla with Steve & Kayla petting Bo and Hope, where Steve & Kayla had to pull Hope off of Bo, then when Steve covered his head.

• Members

Agree about Bo/Hope and Steve/Kayla. I think Bo and Hope work for me in a peripheral, background kind of way - 30+ years means there's a nice comfort level that comes with them but I never found their old stuff very compelling though they had their moments. Definitely moreso than Steve and Kayla who both had (and have) much better non-romantic relationships on the show. Wasn't a fan of Shane/Kimberly either because they were so overwrought and also: Patsy Pease's acting. I did love Jack/Jennifer though after their first wedding the show has never been able to write for them properly since (apart from a few rare occasions) - which has always been a shame

• Members

I definitely do get personal opinion, as I personally have never been into Steve and Kayla, not in the old stuff I've seen not in the current semantics. That said, it's almost inarguable that Bo/Hope and Steve/Kayla are the two biggest super-couples in this shows history. Usually they're in the Top 3 ever billing along with Luke & Laura in terms of the critical view. I don't think Super-couples are something that survived much past the 80s though. The fandom was much bigger in that super-couple period and story-telling changed dramatically as we moved into a couple of years into the 1990s.

• Members

It's so Patch to have a patch, though. No plastic surgery a la soap for him. You know the story? Bo took out Steve's eye after finding him in bed with Britta during their merchant marine days. I'm not sure why Bo was so pissed, since from my viewing of old clips it was The Artist Formerly Known as Patch who started shacking up with Britta first.

• Members

I'm not sure either. They must have been really friendly pre-Bo taking out that eye. [Britta really loved Steve, and vice versa, but she liked sexing them both up]. In the old clips, Patch's first few months, he's actually a lot more with Hope. He lets Hope know he has the same tattoo as Bo and keeps on getting her to come to him because she wants to know the story. First Steve's harassing Hope (there was an early wrestling scene that rivaled Aidan and Hope), then Hope & Steve become close as time passes and we see he has a sensitive side through that friendship. Steve is essentially driving Bo crazy, in that same time frame, because he's often sexually harassing Hope both in a violent and non-violent way. Steve came onto the scene in 1985. Bo & Hope were there in 1983. They brought Kayla in eventually for Steve, months into his introduction.

• Members

They're probably nervous to do that due to the couple fans this show has. I don't think it would work with all three of them on the scene, as well. On the fans level and on the level that it wouldn't be in character for Hope or Steve. Hope is very close to Kayla as well ... and unless brainwashed, she ain't the type of character that would cross that line. I will say I thought KA/SN definitely had the chemistry but it works just as well as good friends, then and now. This food scene in this clip, lol, risque dialogue. The whole scene is on YT somewhere.

• Members

Yep.  When Patch's patch was gone, so, too, was the magic.  Sort of like Veronica Lake without the peek-a-boo bang.

Remember when a knife-wielding Bo and Patch fought aboard that yacht in Miami?  So, yes, the two have been at odds at times.  But, like with GL's Phillip Spaulding and Rick Bauer, their friendship, which reached back to their days in the Merchant Marines, has always survived.

IA.

Don't get me wrong: I, too, gobbled up this super-couple [!@#$%^&*] like Pac-Man BITD.  Bo and Hope, Patch and Kayla, Shane and Kimberly, Jack and Jennifer, "Roman" and Marlena, "Roman" and DIANA -- name the couple and chances are, I stanned them.  (Hell, I even hearted Eugene and Calliope and that nonsense with the dogs and the time machine!)  But it seems like, with some exceptions, their best stuff hasn't held up very well; and that all the recent attempts at recapturing their magic have landed with tremendous thuds.

These days, I'm more fascinated with the pre-'80's DAYS couples: Bill and Laura, Mickey and Maggie, Don and Marlena, Doug and Julie (and Addie), Neil and Amanda (and Greg and Susan and Mary and Chris and Phyllis).  Even early Roman and Marlena and all the Neil/Liz/Marie/Alex/Don/Maggie/Mickey drama from the early '80's seems more exciting to me as someone who wants to know more about this show's history.

Archived