Oregon school shooting - at least 7-10 dead, 20 injured

DRW50

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd do a Buffy style round house followed by a backflip off the wall. Then I'd grab my light saber and phaser and run into the TARDIS, make out with Idris Elba and become Queen of the Amazons because in your IMAGINATION you can do ANYTHING.

Gun humpers live in a fantasy world where they're smarter, faster, stronger and more skilled than everyone around them. But any response to danger should be based on what is happening right in front of you not what some inadequate, flaccid, Rain Man on Fox News has to say. Sometimes it's right to fight back. Sometimes not. That is determined by the specific circumstances. Ben Carson and his fellow armchair Navy SEALS need to sit their aging, decrepit, flabby, self-serving, Die-Hard fanfic writing asses down, STFU and hope that they never have to put their ridiculous theories to the test.

• Members

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/02/445271614/army-veteran-praised-as-a-hero-in-oregon-college-shooting

So is this what Ben Carson would have done? This guy is lucky and courageous, and perhaps he saved a person or two...but I don't see how rushing someone WITH A GUN is the answer here. 

The shooters don't CARE if they DIE; therefore, how many shooters will be deterred by thinking, "Hmmm...the last guy was killed when a dozen of them rushed him and brought him down...maybe I better not stockpile all of these weapons and make elaborate plans to open fire at school....hmmm..."

(scroll down for the answer)

zero

• Members

I think there is a real possibility that the holocaust would have at least been far less had the citizenry been armed. HOWEVER... that type of "tyranny" argument doesn't hold any significance today, because of the nature of instant worldwide communication, that type of genocide only occurs where people live in mud huts and have no electricity. The thing that he said that was totally ridiculous, was that we should arm kindergarten teachers with guns. You know something?? Pony up some bucks with your CHEAP REPUBLICAN ASS and pay for armed security guards, instead on expecting teachers to do TWO jobs. That's what it comes down to, armed security guards would be a viable thing, but these fukkers are too cheap to pay for it.

• Members

Why is more guns always the answer? I am a high school teacher at an inner city school in Chicago, you know the city that has the second highest murder rate in the country and I can tell you the last thing most parents and teachers in our schools want are our security personnel armed with guns. We already have metal detectors and unarmed security personnel in our schools and we have NEVER had a shooting in our schools. It's got nothing to do with arming security personnel. It has to do with controlling who gets them and the number of guns that are allowed to be sold every year(yeah unlimited). If our security personnel each had a handgun, that wouldn't change anything if a nutcase with several automatic weapons walked into the school and started shooting it up.  How would having one or two security guards each with a handgun have changed anything at Sandy Hook? The weapons the shooter had couldn't be countered and he also had the element of surprise. We have had fights and the occasional lockdown where the police have to come to the school for a day or two but outside of that no guns and for the most part our schools are secure and that's with all the gang problems we have to deal with. School and church should be the two safe havens where people should not have to worry about being shot up and should feel free, safe, and secure. Outside of school is a different issue. It sickens me when I hear people saying that those 9 people who were shot in that church should have been carrying guns. Until people realize the volume of guns out there is a problem and that more stringent background checks are needed nothing will change. I don't have the magic answer but I know I don't want to live in a place where having to carry a gun is the new normal. I for one was not born and raised in a place where that was the norm. And wake up. The NRA doesn't give a crap about you or the rest of it's members. If they did they'd be willing to allow a dialogue and contribute to controlling the problem. There is no need for semi automatic weapons, automatic weapons, or bullets being sold that can now penetrate police vests. Explain to me why any gun owner is allowed to purchase that kind of ammunition. It's ludicrous. Why don't you ask how so many guns got out there in the first place that criminals can easily acquire and purchase and you'll realize that the NRA and gun manufacturers who don't give a damn about human life and are the problem. They are not protecting anything but their bottom line.

• Members

Erm, as far as I know – and I am a German citizen –, Germany established a gun control law in 1919 (Treaty of Versailles) – and that was way before WW2. By 1928, citizens were allowed to buy guns but had to register them. However, you were not allowed to carry them around and you had to prove that you were trustworthy enough to own a gun. When the Nazis claimed power, they twisted this law so that Jews (and other "public enemies") were not allowed to have guns – everyone else (!) was still able to possess them and laws were even loosened.

The Holocaust happened because the majority of people blindly followed an ideology. How would having even more weapons help to fight a government that the majority of people was fond of? That doesn't make any sense.

• Members

Amen. People who make these claims don't remotely understand the history of what led to Hitler's rise to power and that Germany was suffering for years partially due to some of the demands in the Treaty of Versailles. German's I assume welcomed someone who gave them some hope. To think that guns would have mattered in terms of the Holocaust is ludicrous when the majority of your population supported the government that was in power and turned a blind eye to what I assume many knew what was going on because things for them were better. Sounds familiar to me.

Marceline was right. That ideology that existed in Germany at the time has more in common with the gun culture and the gun advocates in the US than anything else.

• Members

There is one person who ran towards the shooter in Oregon, but he had been in the military. He knew what he was doing in a war zone. Some people may go into shock and cannot move, that has to be a possible behavior some exhibit.

Archived