Oregon school shooting - at least 7-10 dead, 20 injured

DRW50

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My heart and my prayers go out to the victims of this latest tragedy and to everyone who has been affected in some way by gun violence.  No matter which side of the debate you are on, I think we all can agree that this should not have happened.

• Members

Rumor has it Christians were targeted this time.

I'm tired of this savagery. We're supposed to be the greatest country in the world and we can't keep guns out of criminals' hands while honoring the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens? 

At at least the shooter ended up six feet under this time, unlike the last couple of times. Small mercy, I know, but we won't have to sit through "his side of the story."

• Members

I have to ask a question, and maybe I'm dumb and should know the answer, but - has there EVER been a mass shooting where the shooter was female? I'm just curious to know and, sadly, there have been so many I can't think of them all off the top of my head. Just curious - not that it matters one way or another. No matter how you slice and dice these type of things, they're never any less horrendous

this broke my heart. how sad, but true.

• Members

No. When women kill it tends to be personal and less about making a statement. Women who kill multiple people tend to do it more like serial killers: one at a time and with the intention of getting away with it or they do it at the command of some psycho they love, think Charles Manson.

IMO, mass shooters are usually inadequate failures as men who feel like they've lost some power they were entitled to. Women aren't raised with that expectation so when they kill they are killing a person while the Dylann Roofs of the world are trying to kill society. That said, the day is coming when we'll have a female mass shooter and I suspect it's coming soon.

• Members

He is absolutely RIGHT. I don't agree with him on much, but on this I do. There are like a couple dozen of you, and ONE of him, if everyone didn't just stand there, at least you would have a chance. Good grief. I don't know what the deal is, have millennials been so coddled all their lives that have lost the instinct of survival? If you won't fight for your own life, I don't know what to say to that.

• Members

Sorr but that is victim blaming. Not one person knows how they would react in this type of situation including Dr. Ben Carson. It's why I cringe when I hear people talking about how the answer is to give everyone a gun? Really? Don't we see how many problems there are with personnel such as police officers and military personnel, people who are allegedly trained for these situations, much less someone who has never touched a gun. And no I don't believe that even those out there who have been trained including you, know how you would react if someone with several automatic weapons suddenly started shooting people up. And just how many other innocent people would get hurt.

Not one person including the president has talked about taking guns away from legal and law abiding guns owners. I would think even gun owners are smart enough to see how the NRA isn't representing them but the gun manufacturers yet it's the same sound bites about how rights are being taken away etc. As someone who is deathly afraid of guns, when do my rights get taken into consideration or the rights of the victims, because I am tired of mass shootings being all about the how persecuted gun owners and not the victims or the real problems.

• Members

It is not victim blaming. Nobody is blaming any victim for the shooting. And many people DO know how they'd react. If you don't know yourself well enough then maybe you wouldn't. It comes down to a large percentage of poeple are just sheep and will be lead to the slaughter without fighting back. If your'e gonna die, might as well go down fighting, and secondly, it IS harder to hit a moving target, in case you didn't know.  A alot of gun violence is committed by repeat offenders, if you'd simply make a law that if you use a gun in the commission of a crime, you get life in prison with no possibility of parole, that would stop it really quick.

• Members

That's not victim blaming now ur calling people sheep? Not u or anyone else knows for a fact how they would react I don't give a crap what you or Dr Ben Carson says. Unless you've been trained and prepared for specifically these type of situations you have no clue. As I pointed out, even people trained to deal with this have had issues and don't act flawlessly.  

I'm not sure how running up to a gunman with an automatic weapon is going to stop anything. It might just make the shooter angrier and cause him or her to go on another rampage and kill even more people. Until you are personally in that situation or know the psychology of the shooter it's a completely baseless claim.

• Members

Ben Carson basically blamed these murder victims for not being tough and bootstrappy enough. As soon as he used the words "I wouldn't stand there and let someone shoot me" he was blaming. 

I hope that someday he gets to experience this situation so we can see how perfectly he handles it.

Archived