Oregon school shooting - at least 7-10 dead, 20 injured

DRW50

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you kidding me???!!I

I haven't been able to watch any news and haven't been on social media most of the day so I had no clue that this happened!  To say this is awful is an understatement.  For me, this will never not be shocking!  

Does anyone else fear for our collective future in this country with so much unchecked and random gun violence?

• Members

Although it probably won't stem THESE type of shootings, but everyday run of the mill gun violence could be drastically cut back with a 10 year mandatory sentence with no parole for using a gun in the commission of a crime. Require gun licenses, just like driver's licenses... charge a 20$ a year fee, and use that money for more prisons, cause your'e gonna need em.

• Members

Unfortunately that's where I'm at with this. I don't want to be jaded, but my first thought is "must be Tuesday".

I have no idea how this could be changed. I don't think there is any real political will for it.  The NRA is very good at convincing people that any change in the gun laws means the government is coming for their guns. Far from true, since even the President hasn't advocated for that.

• Members

Many people have opined that if Sandy Hook didn't do it, nothing will.. and I have to agree with that. The other side is even more galvanized after Ferguson, they all have this fear that something like that will happen close to them, and they will have do defend their homes and families from throngs of marauding rioters. Trust me, this is how many people really feel. There's a lot of paranoia out there. These are the same people who own assault rifles.

• Members

While it is true video games can make you think violent concepts are run of the mill, and no video gamer would be appalled by what would have disgusted their great grandparents, the video game doesn't make you deranged and a killer.    That's Tipper Gore style thinking.   Years ago they tried to say Dungeons and Dragons led to devil worshiping.   In the riddle of which came first:  The Lunatic or Grand Theft Auto III, the Lunatic came first.  Sadly, people want to ban video games but don't want to ban that which the lunatic uses to kill everybody. 

• Members

That's why I said they don't trigger the average person with a normal psyche, it's a trigger for those who are teetering on the edge of madness. It makes it easier for them to be pushed over. At times like this, people discuss the differences between our country, and ones with lower gun violence. There are tons of differences, the US glorifies violence while being prudish sexually, the US has a much larger minority population with generations of baggage attatched to it, the other countries have far easier access to mental health care than we do, and so much stigma attatched to it here, the other countries have a much more robust safety net for low income people... So many variables to consider in the differences in the way "they" do it, and to the way "we" do it. The availability of guns is not the only difference, although some might want to paint that picture to advance an agenda.  Certainly the miniority issue is of no consequence in these mass shootings, only in daily violence in the larger cities. Who knows? Alcohol causes much more death each year than guns, and I would support prohibition!! But you know that won't get any traction, too many drunks in the world on both sides of the aisle.

Archived