Days: October 2015 Discussion thread

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gay story this, gay story that. Is that the only purpose Will and Sonny had on DAYS, to tell a gay story? What is a gay story? Are all the other stories straight?

I don't know anything about that story on OLTL, maybe it was all plot but it sounds different and interesting. Or was the problem that a gay character was the bad guy? Must they all be good? Chris Keller on OZ killed gay guys he had been with because he hated himself.

• Members

seems like people only saw Will, Sonny and now Paul as the gay characters instead of characters who happen to be gay.

yeah you are right LGBT characters don't have to be saints and be able to come to turns with their orientation. They can be murderers and self-hating people

also why does Paul need a romance already? 

• Members

well he's been on the show for a year and hasnt had one yet. The show has done a good job of giving him strong family ties so they might as well keep him and develop more for him and considering this is a soap, romance is expected. IA with Julia in that they either recast Sonny and move forward with that or bring on someone new for Paul. With that said, it does look like he'll be the next departure announced, which is unfortunate

• Members

The writers are going to have to follow up with good writing after all the deaths and shock value events end. I don't have faith in the writers to do that. The show will stink again in about 6 months and ratings will fall again. It was a big mistake to kill off Will. And it another mistake to write off Paul if they do.

• Members

I appreciate that someone actually liked GW. Personally, he was horrible.  His gawdawful facial expressions and poor delivery during the whole affair story ...make that affairs, was laughable, and the writing for Will was lousy at best.  Why couldn't they just send him off to work on a story, and return with a better actor in the role? If they wanted to kill someone for shock value, St. Daniel of the orange peen could have been the one.  Even if these writers aren't interested in a gay story, their eventual replacements may be. and an off screen Will could have been brought back down the road. But, what's done is done, and all of our opinions aren't going to change it, so I'm just looking forward to the fallout, as the whole town was related to Will by blood or friendship. I just wish "T" was coming back...Brandon Coughlin's take on losing Will is something that should have been included....

• Members

Clearly that WAS the only purpose DAYS saw for Will and Sonny, given that Sonny wasn't recast, Paul has nothing to do, and Will is dead. It was DAYS who marketed the coming out story and wanted GLAAD awards for it and all the rest. They were fine with being known as a gay story for PR or if they thought it might help ratings. When the awards were over and the ratings were down, we have gay characters either MIA or being brutally murdered for shock value.

The problem with the OLTL story was that it all had the whiff of a cheap B-movie from 40 years ago, and had no real view beyond being gay = being murderous, weak, and pathetic. They also chose to have the characters worry about whether he would give his girlfriend AIDS, when no straight characters on the show ever worried about this when their straight partners cheated on them, which also struck me as odd (and hypocritical). And this was the only storyline involving gay characters (minus one that lasted for a few weeks with supporting characters who also only stayed around for a few weeks) during her entire headwriting tenure at OLTL. The only story she could come up with that ran for more than a month was a gay man being a serial killer.

• Members

different regime. The last were clearly invested in them. Higley has come in and cleaned house with quite abit of the characters that were used alot during the previous writer's reign. I really dont think its some anti-gay agenda. Is that the case then for

The show is obviously high on nostalgia and they are using that lead into the 50th anniversary. Paul is a newbie and has no roots to Days' history. Sonny was already gone by the time Higley took over. Will could have left town, but this is what it is. They wanted a high profile character to off to give this story more weight instead of it just being minor characters.

Archived