Days: October 2015 Discussion thread

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree this has gotten out of hand.  Besides, the same assholes who were complaining that Serial Killers rarely kill off main/central/legacy characters are the same who are complaining about this.  I say, you gotta be careful what you wish for. 

On that note,  It isn't new to daytime for a popular character to be killed off after a failed recast.  Look at Natalie on AMC. 

If Will was killed off because Corday/SONY hated gays why would they have approved Will being gay in the first place?

Also, how the HELL can someone compare the Will Horton to Frankie Frame?  Also, people are making comparisons to that left and right.  How can one compare it?  Frankies death was FAR more vicious and the acting was far much greater. 

• Members

I have been watching since the new writers took over and only written positive things. I don't mind a serial killer storyline and i've enjoyed recent episodes; but they went too far and given how long it's taken them to start getting the show back in shape, and then they do this?  Ken Corday needs to retire like Bill Bell did and let someone else run the show.

• Members

I'm indifferent to the character being killed off. The writers never really seemed to know what to do with Will and I think writing him as gay was just a gimmick to find something for the character to do, as well as draw attention to the show. The poor recast compounded the problem, along with the previous writers' failed attempted to make him like Samantha. Regardless of who was playing Will, the character lacked depth. Although I was not watching for a couple of years or so when Chandler Massey was in the part, I watched during some of his run and I didn't care for the writing for the character then, which was most Will just nagging Samantha about her behavior like a lot of other characters. Characters like Abby, Theresa and even JJ have had more interesting things to do than Will did, at least in my opinion.

• Members

I don't like the term "legacy character" either, but between Dena Higley's virulently anti-gay storytelling on OLTL, the backburnering of all gay characters in recent months, and the approach with some soaps in recent years of blaming gay characters when ratings fall, I do have to wonder if it's a factor. Corday was never very willing to off flop recasts like the last two Belles, or the last Shawn.

• Members

There was an entire lengthy storyline about a closeted politician who killed people because he was gay and needed to make sure no one knew he was gay. They brought back a character the previous headwriter had done a coming out story for, just to make him the closeted politician's piece of ass. Once the politician was written out, he disappeared, and beyond some 5 minute gay marriage story with Marcie's brother around the same time, Higley's run never had any other gay characters or stories.

Higley run on OLTL was a depressing boring hot mess. I'm not expecting much from her. Josh Griffith's run on OLTL with Michael Malone was Golden but he's gone downhill ever since. The show is a little bit better in some ways but still slow as hell. I'm pretty sure after this story the show will go back to be being a boring coma inducing hot mess. I know Tomsell ruined Will and Guy Wilson didn't help matters. But Will meant a lot to gay DOOL fans. To the people saying get over it do the same when your favorite is killed off ok darlings.

• Members

My favorite has been killed off 75 times.

I dont think people should just get over it tho. I also dont think its an anti gay agenda quite yet. Its been a month and a half. Yes there is only one back burned gay guy left now, but some of these characters needed to be back burned for awhile. This is just another stunt serial killer story and a rather annoying idea going into the 50th. Nothing says celebration like a bunch of Dena Higley depressing death.

• Members

Zack was never in the same league as Will. Will drove story since his conception for the last 20 years. That right there is legacy. Guy Wilson even said in SOD that he was told they were ending his story. He was talking the gay story. No ifs or buts about that. Yes Paul is still on but what is his story? Nada. Also yes Dena created Sonny but she was fired soon after Sonny arrived. It was MarDar that did most of the Will coming out and Tomsell who did Wilson

Also just because you write a gay story doesnt mean you cant be homophobic. Hell Dena made a gay guy a killer on OLTL because he thought being gay was a sickness like alcoholism. Yeah sure sounds like a champion for GLBT rights to me, NOT

Corday needs to retire and take Higley with him. She has been hired & fired over three times now and he never learns that she is poison to the show.

Archived