THR: When Aaron Spelling Ruled Hollywood (An Oral History)

Vee

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fantastic read. A lot of it is stuff I've known for years already, but it's always so fun to hear stories from the people involved with his shows throughout the different eras. I love that the main takeaway is that Aaron NEVER intended to make critically acclaimed shows - he wanted to give the audience what it wanted, and glamour/fantasy/escapism was it. There's a reason why his shows are still popular in reruns and home video. Interesting comments at the end about how he'd react to recent hits. I'm surprised no one mentioned GoT, which in its prime was like Spelling-goes-mythology.

• Members

This was a nice article but I think Aaron Spelling gets a free pass for the lack of intelligence to his product.   Nowhere was it written popular tv shows had to be moronic, as Norman Lear proved, but shows like Fantasy Island, Love Boat and even Dynasty were intentionally dumb.    Harmless fluff is fine but when half the ABC line up was harmless fluff, suddenly it isn't harmless anymore and you basically are turning tv into fast food TV.  

• Members

As others have said, great read, thanks for sharing.  Honestly, I don't need narration nor pictures, I wish that every series/personality I enjoy got an oral history account like this (can hardly wait to crack into the OLTL).

• Members

This makes absolutely no sense. Most of his shows NEVER put on the pretense of being "intelligent" entertainment (such a generic and overused term in TV, btw), so why should he even need a "free pass" in that respect? His objective/vision for his productions is articulated pretty strongly throughout this article, and in my experience of discussing AS and his shows, it always seems like people either get it completely or don't get it at all. He did what he set out to do and produced multiple hits in the process, shows that are still successful in reruns and on home video. I'm failing to see what's wrong with that.

• Members

Randy said, "He used to put Spanish red-skinned salted peanuts in a bottle of Pepsi and drink it. He said it was a Southern thing. It didn't taste bad, kind of like a Pepsi surprise."  Sammy Jo does this in an episode of Dynasty, Aaron must have gotten a kick out of that.

Archived