• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd be interested to here what people thought of that, and if you thought TPTB came across well or not.

On a superficial side note, Kate Oates looked hot! She's also the one who I feel "gets it". She knows what it means to juggle audience expectations, network interference, keeping to character, etc, etc. Sometimes the show veers into melodrama a bit too much, but I feel she always has the characters' integrity in mind.

Contrast that with DTC, who puts a lot of stock in storylines being rooted in truth, as in real life believability, that he forgets about the character truth. Kathy's return is a prime example of this. The story is based on a RL case, forgetting that Kathy would never fake her death for money; that's not a part of who that character is. Of course they could say she was forced into it, but you're still in dodgy territory when it comes to the integrity of Kathy's character.  

ETA: Who do you think DTC was referring to when he said an upcoming character was set to die? People are speculating Lola for some reason, but I assumed he was talking about an upcoming character exit, like Charlie or Carol. I'd be very surprised if he thought it was a good idea to literally kill off Carol.

• Members

I have to admit I haven't watched yet as I can't stomach DTC in interviews. The ones he did for EE the last time around are burned on my brain (especially the one where he said burying Max alive was a Greek tragedy or Shakespeare or whatever).

I could see it being Carol. I also wonder about Lee, as I think they may have only kept him around because Sam Strike quit.

• Members

I know what you mean about DTC and interviews (he's quite cringe-y in this). I say give it a watch; it's a bit boring in places, and kinda predictable with some of the questions, but it's OK.

They do bring up the time CS fired the guy who played Martin Platt (they don't name names, and everyone there is totally clueless for some reason), and Darren Little is all, like, he disagreed with a story direction, so we fired him. Everyone else is like, we're open to discussing through actors concerns. b/c it gives you a more rounded story, and KO even calls him harsh (you can tell she probably wanted to say something else). It's a total tumble-weed moment.

• Members

That was an interesting watch, and I think having the two actresses there, with their different soap histories, enhanced it. 

DTC really does love the sound of his own voice though, and I do wish that Kate Oates had been given the chance to speak more. 

• Members

That's the story where they supposedly wanted Martin to be with an underage girl. No wonder the actor didn't want to do it. 

Daran Little was a big asset to Corrie but I sometimes feel his ego got ahead of him - EE is a show that was laid waste by big egos so I wonder how long before it happens there.

• Members

Again, thanks for posting the video, Carl. I truly enjoyed it. However, I could not really it enjoy as many of them I blame for the issues that are going on at many of the soaps I once beloved. I was only interested to hear Daran Little and Kate Oates speak. I found what those two said to be endearing. I did smirk when DTC complained about soaps being aired opposite each other. While I do think that he cares for the betterment of all the shows, his statement makes me wonder if he is only saying this because Emmerdale is better than his product, Eastenders, at the moment. 

I do think that the character that DTC was planning on killing was Carol. I think he reneged out of the ratings crumbling over the Lucy. I think this great story he thinks he plotted (i.e. Who killed Lucy) is becoming a nightmare and killing off another legacy character would further do damage to EE. 

I am also glad that the moderator brought up stunts as the show have started to rely on them heavily. I feel like Kate was the only one to grasp the reason about using them, and even said that they are earned. Glad she stated that they need to have long-term affects too. 

I could've done without Kirkwood and Blackburn. Neither brought anything endearing IMO. I wouldn't've minded if they brought up more veteran soap writers/producers from the 70s forward, so they can give their current and honest opinion on regimes now. That would've been interesting.

Archived