What They Did and What They Should Have Done...Casting Miss-haps

• Members

Who said that Nicky had to be a villain? If anything, I'd've found the character more endearing if he was the opposite of Lawrence. Furthermore, I like RSW. I think he's a fine actor, who is just given crap material. He's no DeNiro or Pacino but he's decent at best. Plus, DAYS has never been known to have the best thespians. They've always been a show (since the 80s) that hired hair models and taught them how to act overtime. He's just one of many, but he's one with tons of potential. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember that fiasco.  I know someone will remember the og actresses name Alison Rice-Taylor I think.  I didn't even watch ATWT but I remember reading in SOD.  Fans were sending soup cans so she would be canned.  That is one of the worst castings I can remember.  Plus slutty Maxie that they replaced with Robyn Richards and then brought Robyn Richards back and eventually Kirsten Storms.  I thought JJY was horrible as Lucky.  Not sure who he could have played on the canvas, was Logan around back then?

• Members

I thought this thread was about good actors in bad roles?

Billy Miller is awful, just the bottom of the barrel as an actor.   He recites his lines with all the energy usually reserved for when you call voice automated customer service and you occasionally have to say "yes" into the phone.  I never saw him before GH but I honestly have no idea how he became popular on Y&R.

• Members

Y&R - What if Gina Tognoni had been cast as Phyllis instead of some woman who was too dumb to know the difference between Jack & Marco and needs other people's help to find answers.... I'm still perplexed how they could come up with the perfect recast of complex character played by a popular actress and decide to write her like this. Worse, they 'de-aged' the character with the casting and still paired her with an old man. GT should be soaking the sheets with Adam, Noah, Cane, Joe, etc. I kind of wish they'd cast someone who has far more limited range than GT, so I could accept it. But knowing what she can do, makes it complete FF material to avoid frustration.  

• Members

DAYS:

*Not calling Farah Fath's agent as soon as Jason Cook was set on returning as Shawn-D.

*Not casting Cosgrove as either Peter Blake or Frankie Brady.

*Picking up that PP reject Rob Wilson as Ben, when someone like Drew Garrett would have done the trick.

*I'll echo what people said about MA being cast as Serena instead of Sarah Horton.

*Guy Wilson...in general. I would've rather they killed Will off than that travesty.

GH:

*Howarth as Franco.

*Not having Michael Easton come in as "Silas", a Caleb disguise...

• Members

BM was great on AMC. Loved him there

Everyone knows that GT should have been cast as a Victoria recast

OLTL: Any number of young men in their mid 20s- mid 30s, should have been cast as CJ in the 00s instead of who they actually played. Mark Dawson, John Brotherton, John-Paul Lavoisier, Forbes March, etc....come to mind

• Members

I was thinking of TJ as Tom III, Tom Hardy's grandson( if Tommy had a kid). I know it's a stretch, but with SORAS, it could work. 

(of course it's one of those "in jokes"...TJ(Thomas, Junior)  Ashford( as in Matt Ashford, the last actor that played Tom Hardy).  Oh Ron...so clever...

• Members

Well I've seen worse. Billy Miller is decent in my book. I just don't think he can play Jason, and he's trying to play Jason how Steve Burton played him, which was a dullard. Billy excels or at least performs better when the characters have life to them. That's why he was so popular as Billy on Y&R (not with me but I understand why people like him). 

Billy should've been cast as a vibrant character with life to them. Jason should've remained dead at the bottom of Port Charles' harbor.

• Members

Deidre Hall back in 76 as Dr Sandy Horton.To this day there would be another Horton on the show and her offspring part of the core family.

Deborah Adair as Kate Winograd, who was involved with Bill Horton, rather than the invented Kate Roberts and the retconned backstory.

Rod Arrants as Steve Williams rather than Dr Steve Lassiter on Y&R. Steve could have been doing a report on mental issues and got involved with Ashley,thus once again intertwining the Abbotts and Williams.

• Members

I don't think that Donna should have been on GH a-tall.  She's a B&B actress.  I would have cast her as Stephanie and Pam's cousin, a cosmetics mogul from Chicago a la Marilyn Miglin, and put her in a triangle with Bill and Katie.

Maybe Constance Towers as her big sister who gets involved with Eric.

• Members

Going back a while: Taylor Miller should never have been brought onto AW as Sally Frame after the enormous popularity of Mary Page Keller with Thomas Ian Griffith. She didn't stand a chance. She should have been a different Frame cousin.

Also for AW, Philece Sampler should have been someone other than Donna Love. I was a HUGE fan of her on Days as Renee but she wasn't Donna. The character became a weak caricature of her former self. She still could have been a love interest for Michael but just not as Donna. Would have been interesting if later on Anna Stuart returned an they had played rivals instead.

Archived