Straight outta Compton will premiere with increased theater security

alphanguy74

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's kind of ironic when you consider the carnage of recent movie shootings (Aurora, the ex-cop in Florida, the recent one in Lafayette) had nothing to do with the content of the film and everything to do with angry, entitled white guys who had easy access to guns and no self-control.

• Members

There's no irony at all.  Those things happen just like a certain element comes out to these gang oriented thug pictures, and violence occurs there too.   The people to blame for that are the thugs who show up to movies looking to brawl.   Because some white guys shot people are the theaters supposed to pretend not to know who is going to turn out to see this movie?   I guarantee you it won't be the crowd who turned out for "Driving Miss Daisy".

I don't know where anyone else is from but I was in a Brooklyn theater when a gang brawl broke out.  You're talking about animals who came looking for trouble.  Maybe in small towns it is different, I couldn't say.   But I am not going to pretend they don't need security jacked up for this and neither should the theaters.

• Members

When I went to see Fantastic Four with my nieces I spent most of the trailers looking at every guy who walked in the theatre alone to see if they were the next James Holmes. I decided after that ex-cop killed someone last year for being on his phone that  I was done seeing movies on opening weekend. The only reason I went to F4 is because I had family in town that I hadn't seen in a year.

So since James Holmes killed a bunch of people I assume that we'll see extra security at the Star Wars opening. Or not. 

I wonder how many times disaffected white guys are going to get to kill someone in a movie theatre (or a school) before we decide extra security is needed for them.

• Members

The difference is he was the exception, whereas unfortunately bad behavior is more and more the rule, thus the studio volunteering to pay for security.   Or are we so conspiracy minded with a PC bent that what we really think is the movie studio is volunteering to pay based on fictional concerns all to give black male youth a bad name? 

Do we really think the studio just came up with this concern on their own?   Rather than seek out every aberration you can to show "whites do it too!"  why not lament that fact the studios feel it has come to this based on the concerns of the theaters in question?    Or are they racist too?   I guess everyone is racist and the gangs fighting in the theater-those precious darlings one and all, and each one a mother's angel--do nothing wrong.   That is the direction this thread is heading if you want my honest opinion.  I guess that makes me racist somehow too.

• Members

The exception to what? Theater shootings? Mass shootings in public places? Spree killers? Because in all those cases the gold medal goes to white guys.

If there's security at this movie then there should be security at the Star Wars opening later this year because disaffected white nerds love them some mass shootings. 

How many times do angry white guys get to kill people before we treat them a security risk?

• Members

We've had a spate of shootings and attacks, predominantly white men, all at either movie theaters or shopping centers or churches, over the past couple years. This is not a secret or up for debate, these are facts. There was another one very, very recently, and it was another white man.

So, let me ask you, quartermainefan, since I'm not asking the troll who created the thread: Is this really the moment in time where you think it's very important to stand up for the White Moviegoer's basic civility by comparison, all based on theaters heightening security over a biopic about a volatile music industry? And if so, why?

I am a white dude but I think it's a little ignorant and borderline bigoted to choose this instance to loudly announce the need for civility from a (presumably) black audience going to see a movie about hip-hop history. I understand why a studio might heighten security on this film, but I don't think it's anything any white person can legitimately look down on any black audience for since they're not the ones actively doing violence in these public venues.

Crazy white people are the ones working the mass murder in public beat these days, and we all know it. We can focus on cleaning our own house.

• Members

I get that you see this as some sort of reverse contest trying to show which race kills more, but no, just because you have security at A does not mean just to be fair you need to have security a B.

If your concern is shootngs at superhero movies then you will have to temper those fears with the knowledge that in the past 15 or 500 Marvel movies there has not been any mass murders.  Perhaps it is a Batman thing and we will see what happens next year.   I also am getting the feeling you think this is some major coup that you can rattle off white killers and thus expose racial bias in society.   Therefore I direct you to page 162 of the politics thread from 2012 where I said the following:

I was calling the white guys killers before marine shooting, school shooting and movie shootings even happened.  And why any of this should prevent theaters and studios from raising security at obvious potential flashpoints for violence I have no idea.   The people to take it up with are the people who have fought in movie theaters.

• Members

First, I will thank you to stop putting words in my mouth. If something I said is unclear to you, do me the courtesy of asking about it. Don't just make up what you "guess" you "think" or "get the feeling" about.

I see it as an issue of double standards. Pure and simple. (I also see this is a more of Alphanguy's tired thirsty trolling and I'm ticked at myself that I rose to the bait.)

It's like the oft repeated soundbite about black-on-black crime.  However,83 percent of white people killed are killed by other white people yet I've never heard anyone say that we need to talk about "white on white crime." We never have people ask "Where are the fathers? Where's the leadership?"

Look at the conversation around Dylann Roof. He's called a lone wolf or a disturbed individual when in fact he is the product of his culture. A culture that taught him that as a white man, his wants and needs were the most important thing in the world and that "those people" are taking away his birthright of supremacy. The same culture which lost it's mind at the removal of the confederate flag. We only seem to question the "culture" when the killer is black or brown. When he's white, the blame stops with him.

If an individual movie theatre thinks it needs extra security for this movie that's fine but like I said, I want to know when white males are going to be treated like the threat they have proven themselves historically to be. Also, I do believe the time has, sadly, come where blockbuster movie openings need to have extra security on opening weekend regardless of what kind of film it is.

• Members

You are?! All this time I thought you were black! LOL! I suck at guessing "what" posters are in real life. There's several posters on this board that even after years of their posts I have no idea what gender they are. This site is a pronoun nightmare. :lol:

• Members

And you want to know why that is? It's because white people make up 83 percent or more of the general population. Now, when 93 percent of blacks are killed by blacks (less than 20 percent of the population) then you see where the concern is for black on black crime. It crime was equal across race, then over 80 percent of blacks should be killed by whites, but that's not the case, is it? And those stats come from the department of justice.

Archived