When did you stop watching Days?

• Members

As I recall when I first joined these boards the weekly, even daily Days topics were always extremely popular however that has obviously significantly dwindled.

I stopped watching Days after good 20+ years in the fall of 2011. I always enjoyed it but it hasn't always been in my category of "watch til the day it dies or I die" attitude I have with Y&R and ATWT(I would have added GL, but I had quit in 2008 until picking it up for its final months).  I didn't warm up to the "reboot" at all and after EJ and Sami had sex again the show just fell out of favor with me. Sure Rafe and Sami trying be Roman and Marlena 2.0 was awkward and Will seeing them was fun but I was rather appalled enough for the one night stand I just called it quits. I'd tried to pick up many times and enjoyed bits and pieces I've seen from Kristen and Brady, the summer of 2013, Sami's takedown of Abby last year, and the exits of Sami and EJ. However I've never been fully committed to get back into Days(just like my fallout with B&B 2007-2009). As the 50th anniversary approaches I'm highly intrigued to see how it plays out but its hard to get back into after last few years of disappointment.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To be honest the only time I watched Days regularly was from the fall of 2003 to summer 2004, then again summer-fall 2005, with some sporadic watching 2006-2007....I think I was just too committed to Passions (which I actually stopped watching Spring 2004 and wouldn't watch again till summer 05 till the end) 

Since then I have caught an episode here or there, but I do like watching clips on YT from when the show was at it's best IMO, even if I was just a causal viewer before 03....the 1999-early 2003 stuff is what I like to watch on youtube....

• Members

May 2014.

I don't know why. I just kind of felt meh about it and fell back on viewings and sort of didn't care to revisit.

But This has happened before with me and Days so I'm sure I'll be back. In fact, should I check it out at the moment?

• Members

September 28, 2012. It was Molly Burnett's last episode as Melanie, but that wasn't the reason I quit.

By that time, Gary Tomlin had already raised his middle finger to the long-time fans and basically treated us like crap. All the vets brought on under MarDar were let go. Jack was killed off again. Peter Reckell had one foot out the door.

I had stuck with Days through thick and thin, but this sent me over the edge. I made Molly's episode my last because I wanted to have a happy ending to my Days experience and I also knew Peter was going to get a crappy exit.

I returned briefly when Molly did, but only to watch her scenes courtesy of YouTube. I had no interest in anything else going on, because as far as I was concerned Days was a totally different show with none of the fan favorites we all love.

I come back with hope for the future. But the minute they screw the long-term fan over, I'm out the door again.

• Members

In 1977, after the divine Pat Falken Smith was replaced as headwriter by Ann Marcus (who was good at a few other soaps but a terrible choice for DAYS), I had trouble staying interested in the series until Smith was rehired in the early 1980s. After she left again, I was on and off with the show, but never regained for it the interest I once had. the final straw was when that hack, James Reilly, had Marlena possessed by the devil. I knew the classy, intelligent adult DAYS was gone forever, turned into a steaming pile of rancid crap. I haven't watched it since.

• Members

I stopped during the Salem Stalker.

Came back later in JER 2.0s run.

Stopped during Santo and Colleen.ugh. 

And have been back and forth since then. Currently off until I decide to check out this writing change.

• Members

I haven't been a regular watcher since the Fall of 2006 when Matt Ashford was fired (for the 3rd of 4 times).  Missy was leaving the show, and KC just couldn't imagine Jack without Jennifer.  In reality, Jack was a huge star before Jennifer, and he was the one who elevated her status on the show.  Without MA/Jack, Jennifer would have been no different than Melissa--another Horton cousin.  

A lot of fans, especially J&J fans, were talking about how excited they were to see Jack dealing with life without Jennifer.  There was so much story to be told there.  I even had an idea for MR's departure--chain Jennifer to radiator in the Gaza Strip.  But the show just couldn't accept Jack as anything other than "that guy Jennifer Horton married."  No matter how much success MA enjoyed, no matter how the fans reacted, the show had a glass ceiling for him.  The usual methods of assessing a character's popularity were thrown out the window--for 5 1/2 years.  Of course, they also did that in Jack's first run.  And his third run.  TPTB just don't get MA's popularity.  And instead of celebrating an unexpected blessing, they repeatedly reject it.  That is never a good strategy.

I did catch a few of MA's scenes when he came back a few years ago.  He was brilliant, as always.  In spite of a somewhat hostile environment, as always.  And then they fired him again, as always.  But I wasn't too invested that time around, because at that point I fully understood that he was going to be fired from the moment they brought him back.

Of course, Matt getting nominated for an Emmy was a nice surprise.

• Members

I started watching initially, during the Salem Stalker storyline and was intrigued by the Shawn and Belle plot. I watched a bit before then too when Shawn was kidnapped and tied to the bed by Jane for what felt like the entire summer, in addition to Mimi's abortion and that relationship she had with Rex and everything. That was more or less my first introduction to the series, if a bit sporadic. I really started watching with interest when EJ was revealed to be a DiMera, and when he exited I pretty much stopped watching. I am/was semi-interested in the Paul/Will storyline, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested and make me tune back in.

• Members

When they killed off Jack this last go around and then has Jen playing tonsil hockey with Dr. Perv before Jack was even cold

I think they also resent Matt's popularity and given how MR has been received in recent  years with fans as well is why I think they resent him and Jack

• Members

From 2007 to 2010, I wouldn't make too much a point to watch it on a daily basis. I'd just catch it on SOAPnet in reruns, and even then, I'd sometimes go a couple weeks without seeing it.

Then, TiVo entered my life (which makes catching up SO easy!), and the industry was chopped down to only 4 soaps in early 2011, and I figured I'll stick with it through thick 'n thin, because 10 years from now when it's long gone, I'll wish I had kept on watching. Just like when I gave up on GL from 2000-2002, I now wish I had hung through.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I quit around 2008/2009 with the cast purge of Belle, Shawn, John, Marlena, Steve, Kayla and then returned around Alice's death in 2010. So much promise with so many returns ... anyway ... MarDar kept me around (for a few months ...) but then by 2012 Tomsell returned. Sigh. 2013 was really good though, in all honesty and even Nick's initial return in 2012 was well done with them using Jessica. IDK what the hell happened in 2014 but I really really lost interest in the show and am just now starting to regularly watch.

Oh, I kept up and everything because DAYS is my ride or die soap, so it takes a LOT for me to truly stop watching.

• Members

I'd watched the show as far back as Marlena's possession, but after DAYS was canceled back home, they brought it back years later at the start of the Salem Stalker storyline. There was always something that appealed to me about the show and watching an episode of 2003 DAYS right after an episode of 1999 Y&R was always a ridiculously schizophrenic and fun experience, because despite some similar attributes, they could not have been more different in styles, acting, tone, material, etc.

In any case, I stuck with the show even though, by 2004 episodes, they'd stopped broadcasting it daily and would instead do two episodes edited together (!, skipping the pre-credits scenes of the second episode!!!) like every Saturday morning. They never started it on time; it could start a couple hours later or a couple hours earlier, just for sh!ts and giggles. So it was tough. Eventually, they canceled it.

Since 2006, I have been in and out, always keeping it on my radar. For months I watch, then it loses my interest, but I always come back. The longest periods would probably be 2009-2011, 2012-2014. I may not watch regularly but, man, I can't let it go! :lol:

Archived