GH's Laura Wright on playing Lena Spencer, Geary's exit, Sonny/Carly and new writing regime

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well what would you say happened in their first two years then? I'm not saying I loved all of it. I didn't. But objectively, removing taste and my preferences from the discussion, they did save the show from what was a certain cancellation. It's not just that ABC's efforts failed (like GMA afternoon) but they also stopped trying to find replacements because the show was on an upswing. They got ratings the show hadn't seen since 2007. They grew viewership.

Now I'm not saying that they didnt ultimately screw up and go off the rails. Clearly they have. But you can't argue with what people who work on the show and the network say in regards to this. They are in fact a good source for these quotes. And most of the cast has been saying this for years now. Including Geary in earlier interviews.

• Members

Titan1978, you're right on the money. Looking at the situation objectively, they did save the show from cancellation those first couple of years. Several of the actors have said as much. They opened up the storytelling and took the focus off the mob, totally re-energizing the show. It was a fun and campy hour of TV. I just think the cumulative effect of having the Llanview 3 forced upon them, the ex-Y&Rs, Geary's demands, and just bizarre, erratic storytelling did Ron in. Not a huge fan of JP or SA, but hopefully they can ground the show and give it some focus.

• Members

I think Ron and Frank saved GH somewhat. It was scheduled to be cancelled in 2012 set in stone. They were brought on to wrap GH. Ratings though surged in 2012 during Robin stuff and then by end of 2013 hit highest numbers since 2007. They were doing fantastic last year they stumbled but here we are four years later and GH is still on it wasn't supposed to be. We are lucky in thst aspect. We are lucky ABC cares enough to make changes this is not the same 2011 situation.

Archived