GH: Carlivati OUT! Passanante/Altman IN!!

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lol Toups you have never been much of a Jelly fan. U didn't support them often when at YR. U mentioned there lows but u forgot to mention there last month's as ratings surged especially during week of Sharon reveal with Phyllis which topped 5 million. I honestly don't see that happening all time lows I can't think that way. I am for a better and smarter GH and championing change. I did praise Cartini alot in first couple years they had great ratings but not last 6 months I thought the Nina pimping and new characters weren't great for the show. Instead of griping about Ron that's gone we should be happy about the future.

• Administrator

So I guess no deal. LOL It didn't matter if Jean/Shelley's ratings when up afterwards. The fact is that the show was at record lows for a long period of time when they got demoted. CBS couldn't justify them staying.

• Members

For one…we'd see Sonny and Will watching the Golden Girls once a month. Then have Sonny and Will's dads admit to loving the Golden Girls too and watching a marathon with them. Years later it seems Paul tells Sonny to marry him and dump Will. The next month Sonny dumps Will. The following month Paul does a sing and dance number during Salem's big anniversary bash. The following month appearance Paul would tell Sonny he is already married. But to who? At this point Ron would be fired and Dena would be brought back with Jean Passanante to save Days once again.

• Members

I have no personal issue with Jean--I've actually briefly talked to her on Facebook and she was very pleasant and answered some questions I had (not about this--about her 1990s time at OLTL.) However, she has done some iffy behaviour in the bizz--of course I didn't mention this to her... Yes, she was really well regarded as a breakdown writer during arguably OLTL's best era in the 90s. When she became co-HW after Malone left though the show was a muddled bore--not insultingly bad like Higley's era, but not memorable or much good IMHO.

But, I agree with others here that her time at AMC was perhaps the worse soap era I still sat through (OK Higley's stint at OLTL ultimately was probably worse.) She was more or less fine when co-HW with Agnes Nixon, but as Nixon clearly seemed to be focusing exclusively on Bianca's coming out and was getting ready to leave, the rest of the show started getting more and more bizarre and... not good. Then when she was a solo writer it was *dire.* Nothing went on and the stories there were were all crazy examples of awful soap cliches, (I'm talking things like doubles, ghosts, etc. It was especially shocking because so much of what Agnes Nixon did with her return (building back the feel of small town Pine Valley including the society snobs, etc) was instantly gone.

However--with ratings tumbling, there was talk that she was about to be fired. So, because she was offered the associate writer job at ATWT she jumped ship. Which I wouldn't call remotely professional--AMC was stuck without a HW for a chunk of 2001 due to it while they had to play out her ridiculous stories like the infestation of Piune Valley by ghosts (Jesse's staying way longer than he should have--this started when she killed of Gillian a move fans hated,) etc.

• Members

I think Jean has evolved in her head writing. I think Shelly was her best match on daytime. They were each others yin and yang. I think Jean is evolved with the times what worked then is not now. At YR the characterizations abd dialogue was exquisite. Let's face it she wrote Amelia Heinle emmy reel with Delia just emotional it made u feel or cry. The scenes which Gina submitted it really got to core of the essence of Phyllis and how she felt about Jack being with another woman. Shelly did a marvelous job flying solo and running with Delia storyline. She's a gem and with Jean they have what I think is most intellectual writing in years.

Archived