Y&R Neilsen Survey from CBS Daytime

• Members

I did the same thing. B&B has been in Y&R's shadow for a very long time. Not anymore. It's heads and above its sister show in all aspects. It looks like a primetime show. Its storylines, while in the soap vein, feel fresher and more current. The frequent location shoots help extend the show from the walls of the studio. The actors seem engaged with the material. The directors try new and exciting things. The clothes, hair/makeup, sets, lighting and music are stellar. It's a soap that's been updated for the 21st century while mostly staying true to its history and roots. JFP and Pratt's Y&R is a confused mixture of moronic plots and character assassination. Only the acting has saved the horrible material and bland direction and production. Seriously, McDaniels and Steve Kent need to look at all the things B&B is doing right, and implement them STAT at Y&R.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

B&B has the best exterior shots! I know that seems like a trite thing to say but any time I saw Y&R's low caliber CGI exterior shots, I was confused as to why they looked so bad.

By the way, I haven't watched Y&R in awhile, are they still trying to do those awful exterior shots? Maybe I should've mentioned that in the survey but I focused on character development and storylines.

Did anyone mention anything about the sets? I figure with Nick at Newman, viewers will see less of the Underground. It still seems so silly to me- the idea of one so wealthy operating a dive bar (at least it looks like a dive bar). If there were actual working class or middle class people on Y&R, like the Reardons on GL, then it would have made sense but having Nick devoting his time to the Underground always made Nick look silly and like a totally different character. If it was a side business that was mainly operated by a partner like Crimson Lights...and at least Company looked like a place where I'd actually spend some time.

Is Y&R still doing couch sex? Or have people finally gone back to beds?

• Members

I took it, but didn't provide a ton of commentary - other than Jack and Victor need a break for awhile. And the character of Victor - for way too long they've gone down the road of making him so awful there's no redeeming him. The best villains always have something redeeming about them. I remember Roger on Guiding Light - something would always happen that made you feel for him once in a while. With Victor - there's just never any kind of payoff for anything he ever does...and it's getting old at this point. Where has Jill been? I also mentioned that, and that there is so much more history that could be mined other than Jack vs. Victor all the time.

Oh - and Joe is my "least interested" as far as characters. He's just kind of there, had no development...major fast forward material.

Archived