Y&R Neilsen Survey from CBS Daytime

• Members

I remember an almost identical survey after Y&R's infamous loss of more than 1MM African-American viewers, which coincided with Shemar's leaving, Ryan dying and recasting of Mac.

I want more Mariah and less Sage, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Regardless of whether they listen (although I hope they do), I am actually glad I took the time to do this survey. And of course, me, decides to give specific suggestions on how they can improve and get me back to watching regularly.

I won't go into detail but one of my main themes was better writing for female characters, particularly the veterans. Jill (as the only link to the first days of Y&R) should be in full power on this show-- as captain of industry, taking Chancellor Industries head to head against Jabot and Newman. She should be butting heads with Hilary (who Devon has ensured that she gets a seat on the board and executive staff), which could bring out bad girl Hilary, although this time Hilary feels she's protecting Devon's (and hers) stake in Chancellor.

Give the paternity storylines a rest as well as the crazy female character and the woman who can only be rescued by a man. It's fine to have female characters who are antagonistic toward each other (Hilary vs. Jill and Mariah vs. Summer) but that should be balanced by female friendships (Sharon had great chemistry with Hilary as well as Chelsea). I also mentioned that Sharon's bi-polar storyline has been poorly written and her character has been poorly written for at least 7 years running as well as my suggestion on how to fix it (well known on this board).

I tried to be concise yet specific and detailed with just enough understated passion but not too much.

There were some areas where they got some pretty low scores though. And my list of characters I'd like to see less of and more of, seems to be pretty similar to what's already been posted here so far.

• Members

I forgot about that. Like Nina, Ryan was a much beloved character and AB was extremely popular as Mac and her replacement was not suited for the role. I know they attributed it mostly to Shemar, but it was the intersection of all the changes in a few months that hurt. Plus, the disgusting Neil story where he was a dirty drunk was a major turnoff. (The only saving grace was return of VR and introduction of teen Lily.)

• Members

They will use your story ideas and dynamics on different women.

Ashley will become Jill.

Victoria will be Hilary whose protecting her and Billy's interest at Jabot just as you wanted for Hilary /Devon.

Chelsea will become friends with Abby.

They will not write for anyone but Newmans or Abbots and their spouses. Thats my prediction. I'm eagerly anticipating being able to pick out the threads of what you suggested come November.

• Members

I also suggested they dump the bi-polar storyline (it's insulting and poorly written) and just give Sharon a slow growing benign tumor (as a result of scar tissue built up from that accident she had way back when) that has to be removed by a somewhat risky surgery (because of where the tumor is located) if Sharon wants to have normal control over her actions and decision making. Are they going to give Sage the brain tumor then? I have Sharon hanging between life and death, seeing Cassie (who she thinks is the only one who loves her unconditionally) and wanting to stay with her before the sound of Noah and Mariah's voice brings her back.

If they're going to give Sage the tumor, then don't have her emerge from surgery. Yeah, I said it (lol).

I'm hoping enough people pushed for Jill as someone they don't see enough of that TIIC will find that they have to try to bring Jill in. I'm also hoping that B&B getting the buzz these days will shame them into doing better. Today's B&B episode had a great scene of Ivy rushing to the rescue while Steffy tries to fend off Aly's rage. Ivy even told Liam to stay at home and let her handle things. Y&R needs to take notes.

• Members

I totally used the success at B&B in my comments. Better at diversity, better looking and exciting without total stupidity, and the show seems fresh and yet also honors its history and the core of the show is around a new generation of the original families. Everything JFP and Pratt's Y&R is not.

• Members
They'll give that to either Sage...or Chelsea. I can just see billy on one side of her bed holding Johnny and Adam on the other with Connor. Both boys cooing and wooing Chelsea back from the brink.

I asked McDaniel on twitter if most viewers said that the show should be centered around Jill, instead of Victor and Newmans, would the show comply. *crickets*

Anyways, jill was on my short list of people I wanted to see more of. I'm sure she was on many others.

B&B was great today. Women were out front in every story. That's how a soap should be. I don't know how Y&R became a man's show with nothing but male leads. I can't name one female lead.

• Members

I pretty much told them none of the stories were working and that Phyliss and Adam were the only characters working at the moment and they needed to bring back Jill full time. I told them less Jack and Victor...

• Members

I did it but I also filled out the wrong info when it asked for my sex/age and so on. I basically put down the demo they are reaching out for (women in mid-30s). I'm hoping I will have more weight that way V saying I'm a 24 year old white guy.

Archived