GH: Exclusive Exit Interview: Anthony Geary Leaves With All Guns Blazing

• Members

Yes, but he has every right to not want to be defined by it. As I said to folks yesterday on Twitter, Bea Arthur would not speak of GG and Parnell Roberts would have probably shot you before he spoke of Bonanza. Why does everyone believe Tony should want to be buried with a DVR of The Best of LnL? Why can't he want to be free of that pairing? I honestly don't get this particular criticism of TG.

And for those who really believe TG spoke well of Frank, he did NOT. Just about all of TG's criticism was geared at production values or lack thereof. Frank is responsible for this show, not moRon. Frank hires the guys with the good abs and no acting ability. He is the EP, so overall, anything that Geary and everyone else does not like on that set is on Frank. I'd almost see him gone instead of moRon, but in a perfect world, both would be out and the WGA cards they may hold would be confiscated!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

tumblr_inline_nd5gtbGZnf1r8auyt_zps127fa

There lots of things I didn't like about TG's interpretation of Luke in his years of decline, but this interview ain't it.

No [!@#$%^&*] to give, and telling it like it is about the state of soaps today and 'the writer.' That stuff about the scripts was gold.

• Members

This is one of those situations where everyone involved is so delusional and narcissistic and unpleasant, I can't really even choose a side. I am glad someone said what had to be said about Ron, but I'm sorry that it was someone who was likely upset because he didn't get to booze it up enough as Luke.

• Members

Geary loved the Phelps and Guza Era so it makes sense. He made no secret of disliking Wendy but Wendy didn't put up with his diva attitude. Wendy was a tough one remember her war zone with Guza. Omg those two deposed each other yet Guza gave the best work of his career when Riche hounded him to deliver brilliance. 1998 was one of GH best years it was deep psychological soap.

• Members

If Geary really didn't want to be defined by Luke, he might have considered leaving GH for good well before he did. Both Arthur and Roberts left their shows early – they were willing to pass up the paycheck in order to leave the characters behind. I understand Geary's viewpoint, but it's a more than a bit disingenuous.

• Members

Bea Arthur didn't want to talk about "The Golden Girls"? That's disheartening to "hear." But it was her right, I guess, just as it's TG's right not to be defined by LnL or GH. Others might (and would) embrace it, but he doesn't, necessarily; so, more power to him.

Not to mention, in the scenery that I'm sure both would chew.

• Members

Off topic, but there are several interviews with Bea discussing The Golden Girls after the show ended and she participated in the retrospective special Lifetime produced in the early 00's , so I'm not quite sure where that's coming from. It's true she was the reason the show ended (and obviously ratings tumbled during the last season), but she left because she she believed that show had run its course and it was time to move on (Betty White felt differently, hence the atrocity that was The Golden Palace). Bea also did the same thing on Maude.

• Members

And it is not like anyone forced him to come back in 1985 and again in 1991. He could have left when they said in 1993 they wanted to go back to Luke but he settled. The guy wishes he was Ian McKellan going from great plays to big movies, to little plays to little movies just living life in an acting paradise. It doesn't work out that way for too many people. He wants to be Daniel Day Lewis but he doesn't have the talent to back that up. The joke is he is the daytime actor who seems to be the one who takes himself the most seriously and is telling himself he is true artist, but he is the one who sold out for the most comic booky role of all. Where were his claims of artistry when he was portraying Luke with psychic powers wielding a magical sword? And where was his artistry when he was playing a guy fighting the russian spies? Nobody stopped him from hitting the Shakespeare auditions, he just wanted the money.

It's also a little childish to be hating Luke&Laura 35 years later. That's a lot of energy wasted on such a futile endeavor. He calls it his low point, but the sad truth is as an actor that was his only point. He sees that and that's why he resents it so.

Archived