The Plan to Save DAYS: The 2015 Edition

• Members

Yes, I would say around 2000-2001 is when these "PLAN TO SAVE DAYS" campaigns started, pretty much coinciding with the worry that NBC were getting out of the soap business with Another World and Sunset Beach gone off the air. It hasn't happened yet...

Prime time production values? Good luck with that Ken, I just hope for less galas done in janitors closets.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly - I mean, he's in the soap press talking about a re-vamp that's not going to be seen for another few months and when it finally gets on air they'll have five-six months worth of episodes. What happens if people aren't responding to their changes? When will they decide that the audience have seen enough of the "NEW" Days before they go into yet another Save Days of Our Lives campaign?

If the show was actually being filmed closer to the actual air date they could instead adjust the show accordingly to what's working and what's not. Now they're left doing desperate overhauls that might or might not work...

• Members

That's what happened in late 2011/early 2012. They quietly changed headwriters and got rid of half of the vets they brought back (Austin, Carrie, Jack)... but changes didn't go into effect onscreen until the Summer Olympics.

As they make DAYS into a "primetime production," I hope they bring back some audio production values, too. You know, natural ambient outdoor noise that's been lacking since 2009. When a person is outside, it shouldn't be dead silent. I don't know what the heck the acoustics would be for the Under-The-Dome Horton Town Square and the nearby Wall of Bush, but when they're outside in their heavily wooded park or in the backyard of DiMansion, there should be an ambient outdoor noise in the air. At night, there should be crickets chirping. By day, there should be birds squawking.

No ambient noise must be another way of churning out the finished product at a rapid, cheap rate.

• Members

Personally, I can do without Kristen. If I can't have my favorites on the show then you can't either. tongue.png

All right, time to get serious. I read the SOD article and thought to myself "yeah, yeah, I've seen this before..."

But there was something different this time. Someone gets it. I don't know if it's Corday or Steve Kent at Sony, whoever. This is the most angry I've seen Days fans. Ever. I haven't watched a full episode in almost three years, but from people's posts and comments I got the feeling Days was hijacked by an untalented writing team, producers who didn't know the show (Hi, Lisa, you're not producing Passions anymore...) and a network that was determined to make fans forget about the old favorites.

Days tried to make us forget by flooding the screens with about 100 new characters. Okay, I exaggerate, but there were so many newbies, and none of them were truly remarkable.

Gary Tomlin was dripping with contempt every time he spoke. You could tell he hated the long-time viewers because we wanted some semblance of the old Days back. And every time we spoke up, there were people that said "you can't bring back the old magic. The old characters are never coming back."

Guess what.

We won. Our voices were loud and clear. Now, like others, I do worry about the 5-6 month lag time, but I'm willing to give Days another chance. If it disappoints me once again, I can always turn it off.

• Members

This is tricky limbo time, just like in 2011 when Chloe was a hooker. What can they say to keep us watching in the meantime? We know it's dreck, they know it's dreck, and they openly admit to it. So what's the motivation... character development? Half of them will be written off, which we already know.

Meanwhile, is Sweeney back full-time? By the time she leaves onscreen, she's back offscreen taping. Craziness.

• Members

This is the facet of the overhaul that interests me the most. Given the way DAYS looks now, if KC isn't blowing smoke the change will be absolutely startling because DAYS looks very public access.

The issue for KC, as always, is balancing nostalgia with the need for progress. Being afraid to 'move on' is what has killed daytime.

Archived