Days: July 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

Lately I'm reminded of his Roman. I love Wayne, but Drake was much better as Roman in the long run. I think John Black as a character was only truly successful during the affair through the Kristen/Susan storyline. He has floundered ever since.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. John, and John/Marlena were fantastic during the Kristen/Susan mess (93-97 ... not the current mess, LOL) but otherwise ... I don't get their appeal either and never have. Once sub sex happened they never had any idea what to do with John. I also didn't care for Basic Black and John as the suit wearing businessman, even though I like his rapport with Kate (not romantically, though, that was gross).

Drake ultimately should have probably stayed Roman and never been made into John. To me, Wayne is Roman but without Wayne, Drake should have been. Roman would at least have a presence other than a joke for the fans everytime Josh Taylor tries to talk.

But the John we've gotten lately, with Paul, is who John should be, IMO. He's much more likeable and reminds me of the John I used to know.

• Members

Marlena was great with origin Roman..and according to my mom..great with Don craig.

To this day, I still liked John best with Izzy B...and I wonder how different things would have been if the actress who played her hadn't opted to leave.

• Members

I never saw the John/Kate thing either. Sounds like I missed a lot. To me, John has been totally unlikable the entire time I've watched, (save for the John/Paul scenes we've gotten lately) and he's treated Marlena like crap. Why she takes that guy back time after time is beyond me. Over on the DR board, people are clamoring for John and Marlena to be front and center this fall. I'm not here for that if it means John treating Marlena like crap, and her groveling to him for the millionth time.

• Members

RoboJohn who I actually found quite hilarious is basically what killed the character and Drake's acting from that time is just now wearing off. I've always liked light hearted, hero John but the last couple of writers just made him an ass and Drake couldn't rise above the writing. I finally see some warmth in the character again, and I'm sure we'll see more of it with the returns this fall.

I will say it's ludicrous that Stefano/Victor are scared of that hillbilly Clyde.

• Members

Yes! Ever since we started seeing glimpses of RoboJohn (starting in 1999, and then again in 2000 when he started having flashbacks and major mood swings), I've had issues with the character. He can be such a pompous ass (or an irritable bitch, take your pick).

But John as a father figure, back in the mid-90's looking after lil Belle and Brady, was a perfect fit. And he was a romantic hero for Kristen and Marlena, without goofy SoldierJohn/RoboJohn mood swings. I'm glad they're getting back to that and hope it continues.

• Members

I don't like how Clyde comes in and seems to know all the ins and outs of Salem to set up business. Granted, all this "business" is vague, so I don't get it all anyhow. But either way, him and his dippity-do greaseball sidekick don't seem intimidating, yet here they are making Stefano and Victor sweat.

• Members

Because Clyde has shown these men that he's not all talk. He survived Victors hit attempt. He had Sonny stabbed. He was partly responsible for EJ being killed. He can easily hurt one of Victors or Stefano's family members anytime he wants. If they start an all out war with Clyde, they know someone else they love will pay.

• Members

That wasn't RoboJohn, that was Mercenary John, Stefano's solider before he was sent to Salem to be Roman. RoboJohn was a new creation by Stefano and Rolf in 2008.

That was one of the things that annoyed me about the Alamania storyline in 2012. When Stefano turned John and Hope into Soldier John and Princess Gina, Drake played him as RoboJohn, who was a completely different person.

• Members

I agree. The scenes with Victor and Stefano the other day were not good. Victor is snarky for the sake of being snarky and Joe looks so fragile.

I also think it's silly that many Days fans see Clyde as just a dumb hillbilly when it's so obvious that he's playing a role and putting up a front to cover the fact that he is involved in organized crime.

• Members

ITA Sindacco. Clyde has obviously shown he is more than a dumb hillbilly. When I hear fans say its ridiculous that Stefano and Victor could never lose against Clyde, I don't get that. I think most fans are just being nostalgic and are still thinking its 1985 when Stefano and Victor WERE powerful. But they've aged, they're in their 80s, and are just not that menacing anymore. I do enjoy Victor for his snark, but I totally get why he needs to be careful around Clyde.

Archived