• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A year and a half ago, I revisited some of those episodes and came to the realization that through different writing regimes, everyone seemed to see somehow that Lucinda and John truly worked whether they were lovers or at each other's throats or competing (as they did in the early days), Lucinda and John did it with gusto.

There's a great scene with them on a date where they're complaining about the food, the restaurant, the lack of ambience and pretty much each other but even back then there was an underlying sexual tension even as they bickered. It was wonderfully weird to see how, even though you got the impression that the date was kind of a bust, there was still an attraction there. It shed all kinds of new light on that infamous bathtub scene three and a half years later.

I used to think that Marland just up and decided to try these two characters together but maybe he saw something in one of those previous episodes written by an earlier writing regime and thought "why aren't these two together?!" and decided to pick up that storyline thread.

Yes, I'm pretty sure Lisa and Lucinda's feud began over Whit McColl. The revenge story kind of got turned on its head though, when Lisa sought to clear Whit's name and found out that Lucinda was hiding some valuable information that was eventually discovered to be tied to Lily's illegal adoption by Lucinda's dead husband Martin Guest (who had committed suicide).

By the way, was it ever explained why Lily's last name was Walsh and not Guest?? It seemed like she had Walsh all her life rather than changed it to remove some stigma of Guest's death.

• Members

Thank you both for providing that info. Yes, I've seen the WLS interview before - right before ATWT went off the air. From what I've been able to gather, it seems that Liz started off at GL (her character was killed off) in 1962, had a stint on EON in 1963, and then got the role that made her a star in 1964 - Dr. Althea Davis on The Doctors.

The reruns of TD that were shown just today both prominently feature Althea and her struggle to overcome a traumatic accident. Without makeup, bandages wrapped around her head and donned in a dowdy hospital gown, Liz still radiates. TD also shows that while she and ATWT's Larry Bryggman (who would have just been debuting on ATWT as these July 1969 TD episodes were first airing) had the classic love/hate romantic chemistry, she had it first with Gerald Gordon as Dr. Nick Bellini, the great love of Althea's life. Those two had sexual chemistry up the wazoo. Whether fighting or making up, one never doubted that these two were crazy in love.

Thanks for alerting me about the Lucinda/John date scene. Would you be able to share a link to it?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I haven't liked Althea nearly as much under the subsequent writers (Ira Avery, the Pollocks, and the ever-popular James Lipton) than I did under the Rita Lakin/Rick Edelstein regime. Avery started the destruction when Liz Hubbard left and Virginia Vestoff was cast in her place (I don't blame VV for the damage that was done to Althea's character as she was simply doing her job the way she was told. She should have been cast as an entirely different character - perhaps as Althea's long-lost sister or cousin). The Pollocks/Lipton haven't given Althea her brain back, either, as she continues to be manipulated by John Morrison.

Maybe the story for Althea will take an upturn since Retro is now in June 1973, and Liz Hubbard would win her first Emmy in May 1974. It will be interesting to see what happens in that eligibility period. The actresses Liz beat out for the award were Rachel Ames (Audrey Hardy, GH), Mary Fickett (Ruth Martin, AMC), and Mary Stuart (Joanne Gardner, SFT).

Given what I've seen of the 1982 episodes (I've seen more since I originated this post), Althea is much stronger and warmer than she's been in the Retro reruns. She's deeply involved with her work at the hospital, her close friendship with Matt and Maggie is firmly intact, and she doesn't lack for male companionship - younger males at that. No "older" woman on a soap today would be landing younger men without turning the story into a complete farce. Kudos to Liz for pulling it off with her usual panache!!

• Members

Those were great, thanks!! Another thing I appreciate about Liz Hubbard is that she seems to genuinely love her characters as much as the audience does. She was interviewed at the Paley Center in LA last fall for the CBS Daytime 30 Years at #1 event, and mentioned that she still misses playing both Althea and Lucinda.

• Members

While I loved Hubbard as Lucinda, her performances as Althea absolutely enthrall me. She is riveting in every scene. She embodies the character of Althea no matter who's writing the show.

While Hubbard and Gordon were indeed magical as Althea and Nick, I'm kind of glad they never reunited on another soap. What they created as Althea and Nick was unique and special, and I'm not sure it could have been replicated as different characters on another soap.

• Members

I prefer her as Althea...much more subtle in her acting...even in the 1982 clips...she's elegant and subtle with a bit of joy of life thrown in.  I did like her and Nick together in the 1967 to 1969 episodes... Im glad they never reunited...sometimes some people arent meant to be together.  Nowadayd, they would have remarried 4 times within a few years.

In the later years as Lucinda, she was chewing the sets and scenes.  She was still good, but sometimes Lucinda was more a cariacture then character.

• Members

Liz also has the same kind of maternal vibe with Julia Duffy as Penny as she did when Jami Fields was in the role. By then, Liz was a mom herself in real life (even though her Jeremy was still a toddler at that point) and was able to tap more into that aspect of herself that she didn't have before to the mother/daughter relationship on the show.

Archived