Daytime Firsts

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In the 70's Y&R hinted at Katherine being interested in Joann Curtis and viewers had a fit.

ATWT had the first character (Liz Talbot) die while falling up the stairs.

Bill Bauer on GL had the first heart transplant on daytime in 1968.

• Members

Dark Shadows was the first US soap to regularly air in off-net reruns and to be released on home video.

Wouldn't this be GL? I mean, even if we're only talking the TV series, Bert was the last original TV character when she passed away in 1985. Ed wasn't born onscreen until a few years after the TV premiere.

• Members

Thanks All My Shadows.I went through all the shows and somehow missed GL. So AW moves to 2nd place in that list.

First show to have no original cast members left would be Love of Life when Vanessa's mother played by Jane Rose was dropped from the cast in 1960.All other cast had been replaced or written off.

• Members

Was ATWT's Lisa the first true daytime vixen? Many came after but I've never heard of one before.

OLTL- Was Ellen Holly the first leading actress of color on a soap? And was her kiss when viewers thought she was not black the first interracial kiss on daytime?

• Members

I guess in the 50's there were troublemakers - Meg on Love of Life for instance but Lisa really caught the public's attention as ATWT was the #1 soap.Also,Eileen Fulton enjoyed and exploited the attention and publicity.

Re Ellen Holly.The first show to have a black actress on contract was AW in 1965 with Micki Grant as Peggy but she was supporting,so Ellen/Carla was definitely the first lead character.

• Members

Yes, I don't know about the other soaps but General Hospital did several marital rape storylines before Roger and Holly, usually these resulted in pregnancy, with (correct me if I am wrong as I did not view these stories myself) the resulting pregnancy drama tending to overshadow the effects of the rape itself.

The significance of Roger and Holly's marital rape storyline was I think not the actual rape itself but that this was the first time a wife actually pressed charges against her husband for rape.

• Members

Another marital rape was on ATWT when John raped Kim.

Yes,Roger and Holly was groundbreaking with Holly pressing charges.This was inspired by a landmark real life marital rape case in 1978 between John and Greta Rideout.

There was a TV movie on the case with Linda Hamilton and Mickey Rourke.

First LA soap Full Circle 1960

First soaps to expand from 15 to 30 mins Love of Life and Secret Storm 1958

• Members

Was the cross over between Guiding Light and "The Cradle Will Fall" (1983) TV Movie the first and only one of its kind?

Is ATWT the first to show two men kissing?

Days The Two Romans - Was this ever done before?

Archived