April 13-17, 2015: DAYS Hits New Low in Total Viewers

Toups

• Members

So much has gone wrong in the last few years... ignoring the long-time fans... letting talented young actors and actresses get away (to be fair, that's been a problem even before TomSell)... firing beloved favorites or letting them walk and then trashing their characters... it's almost like Days is reaping what it sowed. The long-time fans were right after all, weren't they? wink.png

I like what I'm hearing about the new regime so far. I think the next thing to get rid of is find a way to trash the production model. You can either choose to make quality shows or make them look like they came off an assembly line. Your choice, Days.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, to split a few hairs... lol

Talking about the 20, 25 and 30-year fans that stopped watching. There are some fans longer than 30 years still out there.

I'd like to know the Hulu, DVR and other numbers myself. Does the 2 million become 2.5 million with these fans??

• Members

Quartermainefan, this is what the Sony leaked email said about DAYS and Y&R:

> However, probably the unsung heroes of DVR benefit are Sony’s two daytime dramas, DAYS OF OUR LIVES and THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Both program’s have seen a very steady and consistent rise in DVR lift since Nielsen started measuring DVR’s back in 2005. DAYS OF OUR LIVES currently has a lift of around 80% beyond live viewing among women 18-54, while THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS has a lift north of 50% (see chart below for historical growth). Most importantly this DVR playback has allowed for the total audience consumption of the program to remain steady across last 10 years. For instance THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS was averaging 5.3M total viewers in 2004-2005 season, the season prior Nielsen incorporated DVR’s into their sample, and in its current 2013-2014 season it also averages 5.3M total viewers within the Live+7 day metric.

• Members

The problem with this line of thinking - and I've seen it for 15+ years...is that it's never going to be "your show". "You'll be the one that lasts". "They won't cancel us". "Because we're GREAT". Honey no. Guiding Light - gone. As the World Turns - gone. One Life to Live - gone. All my Children - gone. If you think Days can't be canceled or that Sony will do something special to save it - you're on the crazy train. There is NOTHING that can be done to save Days with these ratings. They're so far behind Guiding Light, World Turns, AMC, One Life were - when they were canceled W 18-49 - if you think Days will be renewed - you're on Crack. It's worth it for a network to give 8 hours of the Today show back to affiliates. It's sad but true. Or - find a syndicated show to put on - costs nothing. Try a talk show - The Talk is nothing but DRECK but CBS is eating it up. And I say that as a CBS Soap fan - if you think other networks won't try to copy it - you're crazy. Watch NBC bring back the 100,000 Pyramid hour hosted by Donny Osmond. Or High Rollers hosted by Alex Trebec. I never thought in a million years Let's Make a Deal would be worth a shi* compared to my beloved actors and actresses - well the network sure thinks they are. Ditto the Talk - what a joke compared to the actors and actresses we used to see every day. No thanks - but Days fans - Another World was the better show on your network for many years - and their ratings were FAR higher than yours are now. If you think it doesn't matter - you're a fool. The 50th anniversary of Days will be its Swan Song. Sweeney made great choices in finding another career.

• Errol unpinned this topic

Archived