Memorable Douglas Marland Clips/Moments

• Members

I don't know a whole lot about DM's work but I've heard he's good. Can ya'll help me figure out his style? How does he compare to Agnes/Phillips/Bell/Labine and so on? What clips are on YT that I can search for that scream "Douglas Marland" on them? I'm very curious about his ATWT work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm curious as to why this thread hasn't gotten any responses? He was brilliant, had a few clunkers but so did every other great HW! Go to the cancelled soap section and look at ATWT and GL's pages, they have plenty of clips up (not sure about the classic GH page)! His writing, IMO, was a mixture of Bill Bell, Harding Lemay and Claire Labine swirled together and it equaled Douglas Marland!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I just saw your post today, and while I can't provide a clip for you, because as far as I know, they do not exist anymore due to that now reviled practice of "wiping" of videotapes that were in place at the time, my favorite Douglas Marland story was the Laura Webber/David Hamilton murder on General Hospital. What made the story so interesting and fascinating for viewers is the visual transformation Genie Francis went through while playing this story out. She went from looking like a normal teenage girl, then, after becoming involved with David Hamilton, took on this almost Veronica Lake look with her hair and was wearing beautiful clothes to accentuate her new "maturity". Then, after Laura killed David Hamilton, which Laura had blocked out, she went back to her normal teenage girl look, because Laura only recalled that David had dumped her (all while being plagued with troubling flashbacks which psychologist Peter Taylor tried to help Laura deal with). Lesley, her mother, took the wrap for the murder and was even sent to prison for a time! This IS is the story that actually saved General Hospital from cancellation. The "Luke and Laura" craze came a bit later. What struck me was, the story was so carefully constructed, paying close attention to Laura's psychology. Also well done was the whole process of how the DA came to the conclusion that Lesley was the killer (even if the conclusion was the wrong one). I don't think any story before or since had me so mesmerized as a soap viewer. I'm not sure if this was what you were looking for, but I hope it helps you.

• Members

IIRC, didn't GH reference the story when Laura was arrested years later for murdering Damian Smith? I think Richard Culliton and Karen Harris were the HW's then, but it might've been Bob Guza and Harris instead.

Archived