Kristy McNichol

SoapDope

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kirsty hopefully made a lot of money and realized she could walk away from the TV biz and not look back.

I'm sure being gay played a part as she wouldn't have to deal with the 'lesbian actress' label and all that goes with it.

She worked hard and deserves to reap the benefits.

• Members

Well, thank God she's not...you know.

I'd LOVE to see her back on TV. She suffers from bipolar disorder, so I wouldn't want her to do anything that would compromise her health. But if she could handle Hallmark Channel TV movies, as slick suggested upthread, or even a recurring part on a cable or streaming series -- something with an abbreviated shooting schedule, with time off to relax/travel/whatever -- I would welcome it. "Empty Nest" just wasn't the same without her to act as Dinah Manoff's foil.

• Members

I don't think she would ever come back to acting. Not only because of her bipolar disorder, but because of the fact that she had been acting since she was a child and acted pretty steadily, at that. She's probably happy to live a very private life now.

ETA: Read the article after this. I was VERY surprised to see her say "Never say never" to acting. I thought for sure she was done forever. I guess 20 years is a long enough break--she hasn't acted since she returned for Empty Nest's final episode in 1995. (She DID do voiceover work for a short-lived cartoon in the late 90's, though).

Her E! True Hollywood Story from the late 90's was awesome, one of my favorites. Her Pirate Movie co-star, Christopher Atkins, was interviewed for it and was quite enthusiastic in recounting their onscreen kiss laugh.png . Her brother James was interviewed, too. She declined to be interviewed, though. She apparently briefly trained to be a hairdresser a few years before she got EN.

And I'm not gonna lie, this is my jam:

Her THS included footage of her and Jimmy singing this on the Mike Douglas Show.

• Members

I remember seeing her THS. Kari Michaelsen from Gimme A Break is a close friend of hers. I always liked Kristy. She was one of the earliest child stars I remember growing up.

That album was released the year I was born (1978). I really like 'Slow Dance".

She did a great After School Special called " The Pinballs" that I always remember and an excellent TV movie with Linda Lavin called "Like Mom,Like Me". Sadly most people under 30 probably have no idea who she is.

Archived