Why do some Daytime Soap actors have better luck at being cast on primtime TV roles and/or movies than others?

• Members

Why is it that some former daytime soap actors like Julianne Moore (ATWT), Judith Light (OLTL), Nathan Fillion (OLTL), Meg Ryan (ATWT), Sarah Michelle Gellar (AMC), Laurence Fishburne (OLTL), Marcia Cross (EON & OLTL), Ryan Phillippe (OLTL), Viggo Mortenson (SFT), the late Paul Walker (Y&R), Marg Helgenberger (RH), and Brad Pitt (AW) along with recent daytime soap actors who acted on soaps during the past 5-15 years like Josh Duhmael (AMC), Michael Graziaidei (Y&R), Melissa Fumero (OLTL), Aiden Turner (OLTL), Finn Wittrock (AMC), John Brotherton (OLTL), Bree Williamson (OLTL), Tika Sumpter (OLTL), and Josh Kelly (OLTL) has better luck being cast in primetime TV roles and/or movies, while other current and former daytime soap actors like Nancy Lee Grahn (GH, who recently said in an interview that casting directors for primetime TV shows avoid casting people who acted in daytime soaps like the plague), John Paul-Lavoisier (OLTL), Melissa Archer (OLTL & DAYS), Farah Fath (OLTL), Brandon Beemer (DAYS & Bold & Beautiful), Nadia Bjorlin (DAYS), Terri Conn (ATWT & OLTL), Austin Peck (DAYS, ATWT, & OLTL), Martha Madison (DAYS), Michelle Stafford (Y&R & GH), Roger Howarth (OLTL, ATWT, & GH), Joshua Morrow (Y&R), Michael Easton (DAYS, PC, OLTL, & GH), Tonja Walker (Capitol, GH, & OLTL), Ilene Kristen (RH, AW, OLTL, & GH) and Maura West (ATWT, Y&R, & GH), aside from having "outs" (and after they don't do soaps anymore) to guest star in primetime TV shows, do indie films, web soaps, and Hallmark Channel TV movies? Is it because the former daytime soap actors that were on their respective soaps were only on their soaps for only a few years vs. the other daytime soap actors that were on their respective soaps for a decade or two? Or is it because some have better luck (or talent) than others?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the common denominator for all those successful actors who phased into film and TV is that they left the soaps after a few years. Ryan Philippe and Brad Pitt didn't look for outs in their contract, they looked to get out of their contract. How can Joshua Morrow ever become successful outside of Y&R if he has vowed to be on every episode til the day he dies?

• Members

It's probably lack of talent for most of them, along with not having enough charisma or whatever makes someone stand out. If I were a casting director, I wouldn't look twice at any soap reels submitted by the actors in the latter part of your list, beginning with Grahn. That group of actors is a glaring indictment of soap casting.

I don't know about anyone else, but Michael Easton doesn't belong in the latter group because he's done so much outside of soaps, including Total Recall and other primetime work. He's also established himself as a graphic novelist. I liked him in Port Charles but I haven't cared for his work on OLTL or GH, but I like his writing.

• Members

In addition to many of the points already made, I think it's also a matter of style. If you think about the daytime performances of several of the actors mentioned, there's a certain... "theatricality" that's not conducive to primetime drama or film. It comes across as downright hokey. Of course, there are actors adept at adjusting style from one medium to the next. Just as on the stage, one doesn't play Shakespeare as he plays Mamet. An NBC primetime CD talked about how she auditioned very famous Broadway stars, Tony winners even, who just could not get the TV thing. They bombed their auditions because they weren't adept at making the adjustment to the camera. Look at some of the names listed in the OP and try to imagine them having quiet, small, intimate, less is more moments on film, and fair, accurate, or not, it feels like a stretch.

• Members

I call bs on Grahn's claim that casting directors look at soap stars like they are the plague. Robert Ulrich is a casting directing who is married to former soap star Kim Johnson Ulrich,( Ivy Winthrop, PASSIONS) and he said he and his casting team never look at resumes until after the first audition. Yes there's a stigma about scenes from a soap opera on someone's acting reel simply because of the way they look compared to scenes from most primetime shows but casting directors arent going to not bring someone in because they were on a soap.

Howarth is recurring on The Flash so not sure why he's on your list.

Alot of actors also leave soaps with acting tics they picked up from some of their scene partners. And those lauded as the next big thing while on soaps have acting styles that only fit soaps.

• Members

There are some exceptions of actors who were on their soaps a long time having some outside success, sometimes in spite of their daytime work, sometimes because of it:

Susan Lucci, who basically plays Erica over and over again, just in different places. Deirdre Hall had a successful prime time show. Genie Francis had some success years ago with Bare Essence, North & South and, lately, Lifetime movies. Alison Sweeney, Shemar Moore and Cameron Mathieson seem to be favorite pets of their respective networks beyond the soaps.

I don't think we can pin down any one reason, it just depends on the actor and the circumstances. For instance, Tony and Genie were 2 of the most famous, recognizable daytime actors. Genie has had some success over the years beyond daytime, whereas Tony's attempts fell flat. What's the reason? One is better than the other, luckier, more marketable?

• Members

I think you may have added Ilene Kristen and Maura West after I made my post. I don't consider either of them to be lacking in talent or charisma. As for John Paul-Lavoisier, Melissa Archer, Farah Fath, Brandon Beemer, Nadia Bjorlin, Terri Conn, Austin Peck, Martha Madison, Michelle Stafford and Joshua Morrow, a combination of lack of talent and charisma works against them. Most of them aren't very attractive either, so they won't get by on their looks.

Maura West has said she prefers soaps because the hours are conducive to raising a family; I doubt she's tried very hard to make a career outside of soaps. Other soap actors and actresses have said the same thing. Not everyone wants to leave soaps because the genre has some great advantages; it must be hard for them to watch the dwindling future. For a very long time, soaps gave actors a great opportunity to work without the pressures of primetime TV or movies.

As for Tony Geary, I can't imagine anyone ever seriously considered hiring him, including GH.

Archived