Why wasn't Kay Alden as respected by TPTB as Bill Bell

• Members

Kay Alden had her clunker storylines, and she had her conflicts with Ed Scott, but she was the best HW that Y&R ever could have hoped for without Bill Bell. Bill was sick a lot earlier than the 1998 changeover, but he held out till the show's 25th anniversary, which was hugely celebrated, and then bowed out. Her best EP was definitely David Shaughnessy, who worked really cooperatively with everyone, but Ed Scott knew that show as well as she did and his impact cannot be denied. Ultimately, whatever clashes she and Ed Scott had, they clearly weren't fundamental and they have worked together since Y&R over at B&B, to tremendous success.

Kay Alden really changed things at B&B with the B Storyline the show had basically never had. And her impact permanently changed that show and shook out some of Brad Bell's worst writing ticks. And it got them Emmys, something Brad had craved for many years. I don't quite understand why she isn't still there, she lasted 6 years with Brad, a total of 40 years in the Bell universe, who either hires for life or fires within months, but she made positive contributions to the show.

Kay Alden and Jack Smith were both hired by ABC Daytime to consult on GH, AMC and OLTL, immediately after their acrimonious exits at Y&R and they were paid a fortune. Alden had always been a fan of AMC, which I believe she discusses in her Archive of American Television interview, and she did submit a bible and Frons totally hated it. That's no urban legend, it's just what happened. They lasted 6 months at ABC before Brad Bell hired them both for B&B. The Bells trained specific writers in a specific way and it works for their shows. It would never translate to another soap. Even the Bell actors find relatively little success elsewhere, aside from DAYS where the Bell discipline excels.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Victor and Julia's friendship dates back to what, at least 1982/83 when Eve sough out and befriended Julia(who had been out of town for a good year) while poisoning Victor and then Julia realizing that Eve was really up to no good. Victor later repaid his debts to Julia for helping her when she was pregnant with Eric Garrison's daughter following a one-night stand while Eric was mooning over Ashley.

For me personally the low-point of Alden's tenure was Paul's rape of Christine, something no one had brought up yet. Overall though 1998-mid 2000 was sheer brilliance, with some great moments there in 2001 and of course 2003 being fantastic.

• Members

Y&R from 98 through 03 was the best soap in Daytime despite Hogan's ATWT getting more press.

The long term stories were able to mitigate the backstage drama but the show never rebounded from the major cast depatures.

Y&R's last classic year (2003) was a huge success due to an extremely strong umbrella story & great performances by most of the vets.

• Members

I do recall Bill Bell created the Dennison family and had them introduced through Newman enterprises trying to do business with Papa Dennison then having him dating Jill. I think they were trying to recreate how the Abbots were bought on in the early 80s.. and it didn't work very well.

I do know once Kay Alden took over.. she broke Jill and mr. Dennison up.. then had Jill fighting Kay for the Chancellor mansion.. while both Tricia and Megan were given better stories. I have to say the gradual mental breakdown of Tricia Dennison over a 2+ year period was utterly fascinating and done so slowly and gradually. That alone proved that Kay Alden had what it took.. plus, she inflicted a little misery over Victor Newman as well and even outsmarted him for a short time before her mental state declined too much.

• Members

If Brian Frons hated any story ideas that Kay Alden might have had for AMC, then it's probably because they weren't "juicy" enough for him -- and by that I mean, no gimmicks, no natural disasters, no Shocking Reveals, no baby switches or insane bitches running amok. Everything she suggested was nice and character driven and boring (by Frons' estimation and not ours). Otherwise, I think Alden would have adapted nicely to Agnes Nixon's brand of storytelling.

Archived