Why wasn't Kay Alden as respected by TPTB as Bill Bell

• Members

I've always wondered why KA was treated like crap during the latter years and why they pushed her out. Also, was she actually pushed out or did she resign? I was watching her archive interview and she said she would like to leave after the shows 10,000 episode (this was 2006).

Here is the link, BTW, to the interview. What she says about why she likes daytime is pretty much why I love classic daytime: Academic Debate.

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/kay-alden#

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It started in 2001 when Alden and Ed Scott began feuding over the direction of the show and Alden was side-lined for a lot of it even after Scott exited.

Sure Alden did loose some steam after 2000 and yeah there was some clunkers. Of course I'd rather watch Alden's clunkers than the epic failures that have been written by Smith, Latham, MAB/Sheffer/Hamner, Griffith, Passasante/Altman, and Pratt.

• Members

I noticed that the show became more Victor centric when she took over as head-writer... the reason being that she wrote most of Victor's lines when Bill Bell was head-writer.

Even though she's gone, the huge focus on Victor still remains

• Members

Victor was always the central focus I think in some ways (whether we liked it or not) he was Bill Bell's favorite character, and though most of the cast always got decent amount of stories over the years, I would be lying if I said most of the big stuff didn't always come back to Victor......

The only difference is that Bell and Alden didn't let Braeden or anyone else dictate how they felt Victor should be portrayed and always made sure there was a good reason for Victor to do what he did (for the most part I think).

Archived