The Oscars

Soapsuds

• Members

Who cares what Stacey Dash and her 50 year old racist homophobic ass has gotta say. I would listen if she sounded the least bit intelligent but she just sounds like Dee from Clueless but 20 years older

Personally I liked all the best picture noms but I loved Boyhood the best

Happy for Eddie, Julianne, Patricia and JK

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Except it's never been said that the agent Chastain portrayed is white or a red head. The person still worked for the CIA at the time the film was made, so it would kind of blow her cover if she was still a field agent, had they cast someone who looked exactly like her. For all anyone knows she might be of Hispanic, Asian, or even Middle Eastern descent. Heck Rooney Mara was originally cast to play that role before Chastain and had to drop out and she's Caucasian but is certainly not a redhead. I don't see that casting a black actress would have changed the story at all, especially since most of the characters in the film were allegedly supposed to be a combination of a number of agents involved over the years, aside from the recognized names in the film. But that's typical of Hollywood, when it's white the actor has to be white when it's not white, it's ok to whitewash a character. Heck Rooney Mara has been cast to play Tiger Lily in the new Peter Pan film and since when is Tiger Lily a lily white brunette? She was of American Indian descent but somehow it's ok to cast a lily white actress to play her.

• Members

Then I apologize for being misinformed. I was under the impression that the identity of the woman had been confirmed, and that Chastain favored her. But I still stand by my argument - if it doesn't apply to that film, then for other films in general. Minority actors absolutely deserve more opportunities. But the answer isn't to give them every role, even if they don't fit the bill. Not every actor is right for every role, and that transcends race. Meryl Streep is arguably the greatest actress of all time, and even she is not the right choice for every role. The argument here was that "So what if the ACTUAL person looked this way - that doesn't mean the movie needed to portray her that way!". And I do not agree with that. If you're making a movie about someone, you cast someone that favors them. Just as I said, if someone cast Clint Eastwood as Nelson Mandela, people would be justifiably outraged. Hell, people are outraged that Zoe Saldana is playing Nina Simone, because she isn't considered "black enough" by many. The issue is very, very real, but the solution is not to say "Well we should've turned this real life white woman into a black woman for a movie!". The answer is to stop these rampant racist tendencies and create movies that feature minority actors and actresses. Jessica Chastain was fantastic in that role (and I'm not even a huge fan of her, or that movie), and that shouldn't be taken away from her just because they "could" have cast a minority actress, who may or may not have been just as good.

The racism is real, and the point is absolutely valid that extraordinary talents like Octavia, Viola and Angela shouldn't have to be playing maids all the time, but the answer isn't to create a competition or take unreasonable creative liberties. The answer is to start from the top and call out those that perpetuate these racist tropes within the industry, and to call for a more diversified output of product.

There is a reason that "black films" do so well, and it isn't because every African American person is jonesing to see Tyler Perry dress in granny drag. It's because the audience is there and drastically under-catered to. That audience needs to be represented, but Viola Davis shouldn't have to fight to play a real-life white woman in order to do it.

• Members

And yet, for some inexplicable reason, the girl could do a walk-on in "Booty Call 2"; and somehow, the Academy still would find it in their hearts to give her a nomination if not a win.

These awards are ridiculous, I say. And yes, I say that as someone who still wants one of them. Badly.

• Members

I think he was a problem but the writing was the biggest problem. The tone deaf, dismissive jokes that come off like a 90 year old trying to tell the kids today that he's no racist at all.

Frankly I think most of the Academy is this woman:

• Members

I've said it before and I'll say it again: one or two wins for "Titanic" was understandable, but when they awarded that movie eleven Oscars, including one for Best Picture? It was equivalent to finding out your parents still had sex.

Archived