The New Will Horton

• Members

I mostly remember comments about him yelling all the time and obviously "acting," although there was also some praise. I had some issues with him at times but he improved.

A lot of fan reaction tends to be about looks, and he's a bit awkward in the face (like Guy Wilson), so I can't see it changing many minds.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Abby was supposed to be 16 after the survivors of Melaswen returned--she was being raised and taught how to drive by Julie! tongue.png She then turned 17 in the spring of '05 when the Patrick/Jennifer pairing was non-commitally (I know, made up word) in full swing . . . she and Chelsea were wild children, later re-imagined with Abby being the better to Chelsea's worse girl. Hogan Sheffer, in interview, had big plans for Max & Abby after Farah Fath exited, but Ashley Benson wanted to move on, and Sony foolishly let her go and didn't recast. When Higley reintroduced Abby, she really f'd with the age group. That's what I think the big offense is. Abby and Nick were supposed to be Chelsea, Max, Stephanie, Nathan, Melanie, Jeremy, and Jett's contemporaries. Instead, Abby, Nick, and Melanie were really de-aged . . . and changed their places in the show forever. Chad and Will were poorly recast with actors way older than they should have been and there's a real disconnect with how old everyone was supposed to be in the new younger sets. Melanie was "Days'" "it girl" and her link to Brady was through her bff, Arianna . . . and her being linked to a de-aged Abby and younger Chad makes that link, quite frankly, weird. Esp. with Eric Martsolf as Brady. You can subtly change a character's age to enter a new age group to great effect (de-aging Mike with RC with Carrie/Austin/Sami and aging EM's Brady with Nicole/EJ/Sami) and you can cluster f these two younger sets by making everyone from Philip to Will age-related by making characters like Melanie and Abby so flexibly interchangeable from age group to age group unsure.png

• Members

I loved Eric Nelsen and Rob Wilson on AMC, which is exactly why I don't want them stuck on this show. A few people here didn't like him, sure, but the only place I remember dogging Nelsen that much was Daytime Confidential. Otherwise, people were into A.J. and Miranda.

• Members

I loved Eric Nelsen on PP's AMC. He was a bit green and thus had a tendency to get shout-y, but he was so likable and his AJ seemed like a character with real heart.

They made Chelsea (and thus Abby) 18 really fast, because they wanted to play with Chelsea/Patrick. I remember they shoved them into Salem U either in 2005 or very early 2006. I didn't quite mind the de-SORASing of Abby when Mansi came in because we basically lost all of Abby's teenage/college years. They started out by clearly delineating that she was older than Will, Gabi, and Chad by establishing that she was nearly done with college while they were just graduating high school, but that age difference got lost as soon as she and Chad got together and the new writers came in.

Melanie was always kind of a weird in-between age. She was definitely younger than the Max/Stephanie crowd, because she was Max's little sister. I think they were playing her as about 18 when she showed up in 2008. But they always seemed to be playing fast-and-loose with her age, since Nathan wasn't that much older than her and was already a damn doctor, and Philip (who was pushing 30 at that point) married her. I actually liked when they initially moved her toward Chad just because it seemed interesting to play Melanie as an early 20s person instead of someone who was already going through marriages, pregnancies, etc., but in the shuffle, they sort of combined all the ages.

I guess Nick wasn't technically de-aged, but he had no real contemporaries during his last round on the show, so he got shuffled in with the younger crowd. He really should've been about 10 years older than them, given his established history. He was definitely a bit older than Abby and Chelsea when he came on, because he'd gone through grad school and was working in the lab, but who the hell knows?

Days never, ever used to blend age groups -- Reilly's DOOL was VERY segmented into 20s (Sami/Austin/Carrie/Lucas), 30s (Bo/Billie/Hope and Jack/Jen/Peter), 40s (Marlena/John/Roman), and such -- so I actually liked when they started fiddling and making characters more fluid, but it's starting to seem like we have no sense of where anyone is chronologically.

I wish I didn't find this nonsense so interesting.

• Members

I love this kind of stuff! My two favorite age groupings were Richard Allen & Anne Schoettle's Brian/Melissa/Jack/Jenn/Frankie/Eve and Tom Langan's Lucas/Nicole/Brandon/Sami/Austin/Greta/Eric. Interestingly, Langan played with Jack & Jennifer's ages in 2001 by de-aging Abby with Megan Corletto and having them mix it up with Greta and Brandon . . . then Brash & Cwikly blended all of them with Colin/Nicole and Sami. Reilly Round II was clearly age segregated, too.

I do think it's interesting how TPTB choose to age some kids and not others . . . like how Will is in an entirely different age group than Philip & Belle and characters like Abby and Brady have changed ages and age groups . . . and then you have JJ in college and Theo, Claire, and Ciara still children lol.

• Members

Ummmm...didnt know Julianne Moore had children. A picture of them was shown today on The View and her son could play Will.....he resembled Chandler in the pic except he has his momma's hair color. I wonder if the acting genes run in this blood?

Archived