Spider-man (2017) joins Marvel Cinematic Universe

Cheap21

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whedon wont be directing Spider-Man. We dont know who will do the film yet but it likely wont be him. Im sad that we'll lose Andrew as I loved him in the role. I wish they could just keep him and have him play an older Spiderman, not directly referencing the events of the ASM series,

• Members

About damn time. This deal helps everyone. Spider-man is one of Marvel's most popular heroes and his absence from the Marvel Cinematic Universe is very much felt, especially with what they have planned going forward. From what it sounds like, even though Sony is still going to keep the rights, Marvel is not only going to be able to use Spidey now, but have creative input in the Sony stand-alone films for Spidey, as well as let MCU characters appear in those stand-alone films.

Now if only Fox would make such a deal with X-Men and Fantastic Four.

• Members

I hope so but I doubt it. I can see it if FF bombs but Xmen is a far larger franchise than FF or SM and those films do well. Fox is trying to make the Xmen line into their equivalent of the MCU, so it'll be a while before they are ready to give up control

• Members

Good point, X-Men is still doing well enough that Fox probably won't deal. With FF, yeah, if it bombs (and I think it will), I can see them giving it back to Marvel. Which would also have a benefit to Spider-man, because in the comics Spider-man and Human Torch are close friends and Spider-man has joined the FF from time to time when Human Torch has gone missed/presumed dead.

• Members

His loss would be felt if they hadn't already made a slew of other generic white male characters serve the same function - angst and stale quips. I cringed at some of those Avengers 2 clips I've seen where literally every male character had the same "cute" one-liners. Peter Parker serves the same function, so he serves no real purpose. I can't believe they're going to redo his origin story for the third time in only about a decade. It's a joke.

• Members

The thing is you dont know that; none of us do. Marvel hasnt revealed details about the character yet. They could very well go with an already established Spidey and skip the origin story all together. If they plan to fit him into the Civil War plot as been rumored, that would be a neccessity

As for him in comparison to the other male heroes, if they go with a college aged Peter Parker, he brings youth, which is not present in these other guys in their 30s and 40s. He has potential to be more relatable than any of the other male Avengers bc aside from the powers, Peter Parker is a very human character. He's not super rich like Iron Man, a god like Thor, or this historic war figure Captain America. He's very much an average guy and I see him as bringing something different to the table. Aside from that, he is more than just an Avengers character. the first film announced for him is a solo and he obviously serves a purpose within his own franchise.

• Members

I thought he was wonderful, as was Emma Stone. I thought that whole cast and crew did a really good job on those two movies despite Sony's interference leading to some issues, and that they were much better than that cash grab deserved. But I understand why this would need a clean slate. And I think it's for the best. Unlike Sony, Marvel's studio actually really invests in talent and individual branding.

• Members

From the Sony hack a few months go where we first learned Marvel and Sony were in talks, Marvel's plan was to recast Spidey but not do another origin story since every knows it and he was going to be established already. I'm betting that's still probably what they plan to do.

• Members

Weren't Quicksilver and Wonderbread Wanda supposed to be youth for MCU? Then again the guy they cast looked old as hell in the photos I saw of him in costume.

To me, the reason Peter Parker stood out was because he had normal everyday problems along with angst and humor. This was something different in his biggest era of popularity 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago).

Now this is pretty typical of the MCU films, so I'm not sure what would separate him from anyone else in the lineup. The characters are also written with much more immaturity than they were pre-MCU, so there isn't as much of a difference there with Peter even if Peter is in college.

I guess it would depend on how the films are made, but I just wonder how many times they can redo this over and over (even if not having the origin story would help) before fans get sick of it.

They're making too many of these movies to the point of throwing crap against the wall, IMO. They need to give Spider-Man a long rest as a property. There's a reason why he's fallen off significantly in films and in the comics.

Archived