RT Davies (Queer as Folk, Dr Who)'s new gay dramas Cucumber and Banana

EricMontreal22

• Members

Is anyone else watching? The shows have not been without controversy in the UK--what I find amusing is much of the negative reaction is what greeted QAF back in 1999 ("Why aren't there more positive depictions of gay characters on tv?")

I am finding both shows remarkable. Davies is in his soapy realm, but each episode of Cucumber has a spectacular sequence that always brings me back in. And it's really clever have younger, secondary characters from that world have their own "short stories" in each episode of Banana.

And these clips show the MVP of the series (direct from Coronation Street...)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've kept an eye on the promos. When they come here I'll watch 'em.

Isn't Tofu the third? I remember RTD banging on about his early conception of all three in Volume 2 of his Doctor Who BTS tome, The Writer's Tale. I'd forgotten all about them, and then, years later, here they are.

• Members

Channel 4 is more of a niche network that used to have risk-taking shows - it was especially powerful in the Thatcher era. Brookside changed soap opera forever and is a big reason the BBC decided to create Eastenders.

The channel is in a real slump at this point, with most of its successful shows long gone and few hits to take their place.

This particular show has been a big ratings flop and has gotten mixed or negative fan response that I've seen. With subject matter like a man getting his underage nephew (not blood related, as I guess RTD didn't want to go THAT far...) to take sexual photos with another boy, and clearly get aroused watching them, I'm not surprised.

After the cheap and maudlin idiot-plotted Torchwood Children of Earth. and his virulent responses to fans, I have never watched anything of his since, other than the last few years of Sarah Jane Adventures and his godawful last year at Doctor Who.

• Members

Thanks, Carl! I keep forgetting that Channel4 was behind Brookside. If the network keeps flopping like you say, I'm surprised they haven't tried to revive the show. Especially since it's been entertained for the past near decade.

But getting back on track, I'll probably stumble across these shows one day soon and give them a chance. At least Banana. Cucumber seems icky to me for some reason. It just gives me that Adam4Adam/Grindr feeling with the old man trying to regain his youth and preying on young men to do it.

• Members

There have been rumors, likely mostly fan hopes, for years that Brookside will return, but I will be surprised if it does. I think the UK has stopped making new soaps, sad to say. I do wish Channel 4 would give it a try.

As for this show, if you want to see clips, there may be some at Backlot. I'm not sure. Tofu has its own web channel.

• Members

I might stop and watch a little. It's just not at the top of my list.

But I wish that Channel 4 would entertain bringing back Brookside. Might as well. But it would be hard to get back the sets as I think they made the houses into real homes and sold them. And doesn't Hollyoaks occupy their old market area set?

Maybe Channel 4 should try and acquire the rights to Channel 5's Family Affair? :P

• Members

Cucumber and Banana are bringing television into the 21st century.

They're telling us everything we need to hear about love and relationship. They're portraying exactly what others have kept from us. Russel T Davies is a genius. With all this talk about lackluster Looking (I will never understand how people manage to watch and like that uninspired show), I'm hoping US viewers will soon be able to watch and enjoy what is a real drama (or dramedy) about relationships in the LGBT community. That's what those brilliant shows, Cucumber and Banana, provide.

• 4 months later...

Archived