Y&R: February 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think Hunter King is really talented and always have. But they can't lean on her to be the be-all end-all of all things, and she can't play endless hysterics. I also think she takes too much flack from some Y&R fans (and I'm not saying that's here) for being the "bitch" who got pervy Michael Muhney fired. He got himself fired.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been pretty satisfied with her performance while she's been on, but those cabin episodes really made her look bad. One would think after the first couple of scenes, someone would've try to help her, but I blame a lot of it on the sudden story shift and they were trying to film a lot of cast members in these scenes so that probably greatly minimized reshoots, etc. I hope the performances get better, but ITA, that some people will hate her for reasons that have nothing to do with acting. (Again, there are only two Y&R actors I do not like at all and will criticize them for more than their performance because they are: 1) long-established in the business; and 2) mostly are phoning it in. That's definitely NOT the case with the three I singled out before, especially GR - I just don't think his character fits in any longer, but no matter what terrible pairing or storylines - bunnies? seriously? - he's still engaged.

• Members

I think if they had written Summer as being in shock and zoned out, instead of all the screaming HHK would have done a lot better.

As for Abby, MO is still one of the weakest actors on the show, but I hardly notice anymore. I just think of Abby as a character lacking all personality and charisma. I'm not saying that's true of MO in real life at all, I just mean she doesn't translate well onscreen.

• Members

I actually don't think whatserface - whoever plays Abby? - is untalented. She does a good job playing a flighty, slightly bitchy socialite and she has a gift for comedy. But the role will never be anything serious with her in it, or with the way they treat the character.

• Members

Melissa Ordaway.

And I think with Abby it has always been the writers. From Maria to Josh to Jean and Shelly to Chuck. She's never driven story or been given anything serious. Even when she was at her most potential under Marcy Rylan. I still get pissed over them not playing up Ashley/Abby v. Victoria/Nikki. After all the grief and attitude that Victoria gave poor Ashley for decades [with coaxing from Nikki], it would've been refreshing had Abby done the same to Nikki. She did at first but it was quickly nixed once Victor and Nikki wed this final time, which annoyed me. Abby & Victoria could get along but Abby should still be reading Nikki for filth every second she can.

I hate that Carmine/Abby's potential love story that was glossed over for nothing. With Victor and Jack possibly agreeing and opposing the relationship would've created much needed drama.

With MO's version, I get pissed about them glossing over the Mariah/Tyler/Abby triangle, which could've been something great had these writers sat and invested in it. Race could came into play as someone in the family could've had an issue to Abby dating interracially [<_< at Bergman]. Lily should've played more into it as she still had feelings for Tyler. It was just so much potential with this romance too.

IMO, Abby should be the most entertaining character to write for because she has the most possibilities. She is a Newman and an Abbott. She's always going to be in drama by default. Instead, she is tossed aside so we can see Avery and her lame ass woes, Victoria whine about wanting a baby or being with Billy, or Phyllis plot, scheme, and twiddle her thumbs over nothing.

• Members

I seriously think she's fine. She's just in a crap story and they have her acting like a teen when she needs to be acting like a woman in her mid to late 20s. Same problem with Noah, Mariah, and possibly Kyle too. Oh and most def Kevin, who is well on his way to 40.

Summer is the only young adult that acts her age.

• Members

But she hasn't been able to show her range because she hasn't had a range in the material. 99% of Abby's writing consists of her being a snarky twat. The other 1% is of her being Victoria's 'talk to.'

I'll always prefer Marcy's Abby because she was given a bit more during her reign as the character, but MO is decent. I just don't feel like she's been given the chance to truly shine.

• Members

I like MO, its obvious the show sees Abby as nothing but the stock comedic bitchy blonde and when she's confined to that she's suitable. She flops when it comes to romantic pairings though, she had no chemistry with Chavez and the Tyler pairing was rushed too fast and was unfortunately used as an excuse to get rid of him.

Archived