Name Changes

• Members

Anyone remember characters' names being changed prior to their onscreen introduction?

Reva on GUIDING LIGHT was "Joanna" in conversation among the Lewises until Kim Zimmer appeared.

Estelle on SEARCH FOR TOMORROW was Aileen initially, then Estelle. Domini Blythe didn't actually turn up as Estelle until two years later.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good topic. Cassie Layne on GL was originally supposed to be named Tracy. The writers then switched her name to Sandy before finally settling on Cassie.

On Edge, Jody's mother was named Billie Lorraine when Jody first appeared in 1980. However, when the mother finally appeared in 1982, she was named Leonie Travis.

• Members

I guess "Cassandra" went either way, Cassie or Sandy. Of course, her stripper name was Shady Layne!

I think I just retroactively suggested a Laura Wright dual-personality storyline...what coulda been...

Ouch. I just flashbacked to Beth/Lorelei. Where the hell did THAT crap come from?

• Members

OLTL: Rae Cummings used to be known as Gretel Rae Cummings in the 70s. She dropped her first name when she returned over 20 years later. Probably for the best as Gretel is such an old style name

AMC: Mexican Cara Castillo appeared briefly around 2003 and as a white woman named Caroline Flynn

• Members

Eileen confirmed that Ashley was originally named Tiffany.

Also on Y&R didn't most people just refer to Katherine as Kay or Mrs.Chancellor in the 70's/early 80's?....I feel like she only began going by Katherine in the mid 80's and onward....

• Members

Alexis Carrington was referred to as Madeline before appearing.

Sydney Chase was named Lauren Chase before The City aired as seen in preview articles. Morgan Fairchild said that she preferred men's names for women (actually, Lauren is a name for a man) and that the name Lauren was played out. She felt that there were enough Laurens around, Hutton, Bacall (still living at the time), and she suggested Sydney.

Not a name change, but a sex change, the original actress who played Carlotta had a scene with Dorian where she mentioned her daughter. When we finally saw her kids with PM in the role, they were of course two boys.

• Members

DAYS' Bonnie Lockhart (Judi Evans) was originally Maureen Lockhart when another actress played the role in 2000 when Mimi's family was homeless. They had a throwaway line when Judi took on the role about how her ex-husband "made her" go by her middle name, Maureen.

Archived