NBC Planning Live TV Version of The Wiz Musical

DramatistDreamer

• Members

Am I the only one who actually wants to see some legitimate theatre people in this? The previous productions put a pop singer or whatever Alison Williams is - in the lead role then had enough sense to surround those people with the likes of Christian Borle, Audra McDonald and Kelli O'Hara.

Nicky Minaj? Chris Rock? Bruno Mars? Other than Rock (who I actually saw on Broadway and for that reason alone I say no) do any of these people have theatre experience? Because all I see is a stunt casting trainwreck.

Audra McDonald as Glinda would be everything.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't mind seeing theatre names, but it's doubtful many would be cast for such a pop type of musical. Audra McDonald would definitely work as Glinda and a theatre actress as Dorothy is the way to go, but I do think there has to be stunt casting for some of the other roles. The score is way too funky not to put some R&B performers in the cast.

• Members

You are NOT ALONE, marceline.

The Wiz is a small part, so that's why I mentioned Chris Rock (please no Kevin Hart!) Also, are people forgetting that choreography is a big part of The Wiz? If the Cowardly Lion and the Tin Man can't dance, they won't be put on. The Wiz will be relying on a Black audience to tune in and Black folks don't play when it comes to performing and dancing. The choreographer will be as vital as casting the main characters (no Derek Hough, please!). I see Hinton Battle, Judith Jamison, or if she has the time, perhaps Debbi Allen, if they were trying to incorporate more hip hop elements, I'd suggest Rennie Harris but I hope the choreography will hew more closely to the Ailey/Dance Theater of Harlem style-- that way we can cut the chaff from the wheat.

The producers want to take this to Broadway after the Live broadcast is over, so I am thinking that they want skilled performers who can commit to the role, at least the most vital parts.

Today I saw responses on Twitter and someone tweeted 'Please no Beyonce, Nick Cannon or Chris Brown' so that gives me a sliver of hope. Also, Kenny Leon will direct, and his roots are in the theater although he did do that Sean Combs Raisin In the Sun, he does tend to lean toward theater people and he has worked A LOT with Anika Noni Rose, he's also worked with Audra McDonald in the past, although I read somewhere that McDonald is currently doing a project--I don't know for how long though.

• Members

I've been living in fear of Beyonce since this thing was announced. Casting her as Dorothy would guarantee I don't watch but if I back away from my knee jerk resistance to her I can see her making a very good Evilene. She could do amazing things with "Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News." You're right about Rock as the Wiz. It's such a small part that they can take a risk there.

I read that they're going be working with Cirque du Soleil. I assume that's going to be for the Emerald City scenes and/or maybe after Evilene's death but it shows that they're serious about the dancing which is good. One of the most glaring problems with the movie - other than monkeys on motorcycles chasing Diana Ross through a stadium - is that the leads aren't really dancers so they spend a lot of time skipping, kicking, poppin', locking' and flailing while the Dance Theater of Harlem picks up the considerable slack.

Right now I can't imagine anybody but Anika as Dorothy. Although I see a lot of support on the Broadway boards for Keke Palmer. I do see them going with more of a pop name for the Scarecrow. Maybe Drake?

• Members

not to mention Palmer sounds nowhere near a New Yorker. Stephanie Mills is originally from Queens and I found out her middle name is actually Dorothea, honest!

Jennifer Hudson could make just as good and Evilene as Beyonce but Beyonce could be an interesting choice since her looks are often such a big emphasis in her career. Still, I would prefer someone who has bonified theater credentials for the main roles.

Whoever plays the scarecrow HAS to be able to dance, imo, that is non-negotiable. Despite the flawed film adaptation, MJ really put a stamp on that role. If Drake gets cast (can he sing without autotune though?) and can't dance, he will get virtual tomato cans across social media. He seems more closely aligned with the moves of a Tin Man to me.

• Members

The issue with findnig Peter Pan last year was due to availability. A lot of actresses/performers were interested.. but it was a massive four month commitment. So I can safely say that Beyonce probably won't be the lead in this if that is the case.

I do think Audra would work as Glinda... but not sure who could work as Dorothy, tbh. You need someone well known, with a great singing voice, a theatre background.. and able to dance. Does the actress have to be an adult, or could she be a teen?

• Members

Probably because it would be the rare teen who could handle such a role. It's not like Annie who is essentially a kid who is backed up by adult characters. Dorothy goes through a journey of maturity, of finding herself, her self belief and eventually her way home. I'm not saying that there is not a teen who could handle such a role but it would be a rare find. And financially it would be foolish to put such an enterprise on the shoulders of a callow talent.

Judy Garland was rare but let's face it, she did a film in which she did take after take after take. This is live. Stephanie Mills is also rare. By the time she did The Wiz, she'd been battle tested winning Amateur Nights at the Apollo numerous times, (and the Apollo was once a notoriously tough crowd) so she was no stranger to live performance. Can we find such a prodigy today who could stand up to an Apollo type crowd?

If we had a Lauryn Hill type today, I might take a risk even if she was a teen but it is so expensive to mount these productions, I can sort of understand why they would want someone who has proven that they have they can sing, dance, live on stage and have the maturity to embody Dorothy's journey.

I mentioned Anika Noni Rose because she has the capability of looking youthful and she's a bankable stage performer.

On a separate note, I mentioned Hilton Battle as a good candidate for choreographer and man, little did I know that he played The Scarecrow on the original Broadway version! If anyone would know the choreography...!

• 1 month later...

Archived