NBC Planning Live TV Version of The Wiz Musical

DramatistDreamer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Bumping since now it's reality.

As much as I love the 1970's movie, I hope NBC stays far far away from it. I could do a long post of what I like and hate about that film and someday when I've been drinking, I will.

I do wonder if they will stick with the more adult version of Dorothy or "de-SORAS" her back down to a teenager. Personally, I'd love it if they could bring on Stephanie Mills as Miss One or Auntie Em just as a nod to the fact that she was the original Dorothy.

• Members

They really need to bring on Stephanie Mills in some capacity, if they don't, then I won't trust this production.

Years ago, I read a really good book by Sidney Lumet who directed The Wiz. In it, he detailed all the problems with the production, even though he remained immensely proud of the work done. I'm not sure if I remember accurately, but he may have hinted that Berry Gordy had a bit too much input into the process. Back then I think Michael Jackson was still in the Motown fold and well, we know about Diana Ross.

Maybe Anika Noni Rose is no Beyoncé in terms of popularity but Rose is a Tony Award winning actress who also has Disney credentials (The Princess & the Frog) so I'm gonna guess she'd do more than hold her own. They could always fill the ranks with other celebrities like an Usher for the Scarecrow or Tin Man, Chris Rock as The Wiz (the role that Richard Pryor did in the movie) but Dorothy has to be right and those live TV specials need a performer who knows what she is doing and has the training and confidence to pull it off.

Since I am all about Tonya Pinkins, I think she'd be fabulous as either Evilene (could you imagine her singing 'Don't Bring Me No Bad News'?) or Auntie Em?

Marcelin, I'd love to hear your perspective on the 1970's movie musical? Sending you a virtual bottle of champagne-lol.

• Members

On the one hand, I might have persuaded Diana to play Glinda instead, since THAT was easier to explain to the audience than rewriting the role of Dorothy to be more suitable for someone Diana's age. But, OTOH, convincing Diana to play Glinda meant losing Lena Horne, who is just absolute magic in that movie, IMO.

• Members

You're so right, but we might escape Anthony Anderson simply due to the fact that he has a show on ABC and that might prevent him from doing this.

I love the idea of Anika Noni Rose as Dorothy. I've loved her for like 15 years now. She's like Kerry Washington, except, ya know, with talent. I always thought she should've been the lead on Scandal. But that's a whole different topic.

• Members

I'll be bold and say that Nicki Minaj should be Miss One. She can bring the quirkiness that the character needs and has the name recognition to get ratings for the network.

Bruno Mars would be my choice for the Scarecrow, but it probably will be someone like Usher (who gets erroneously compared to Michael Jackson, ugh).

Kevin Hart for the Tin Man. That's a role that a comedian can play, since it's not really difficult singing wise.

The Lion is tough one for me to cast, since he has to have really soulful voice. Jordan Peele has a decent singing voice and could definitely ham it up with the crying parts, but I'm not sure that he is quite right.

Archived