Daytime Emmy Memories

Soapsuds

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think the overall quality, in terms of visual production, went down after 2005 when they switched from NYC to LA. Luckily, they at least celebrated the soaps in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Starting with The CW airing in 2009, it's been nothing but awful ever since.

I began watching in 1997 and I loved that year, '98, and '99. 1997 had a soap/daytime-TV montage of "Seasons of Love" from Rent, plus a nice tribute to GL's 60th anniversary.

I also enjoyed 2000, but that's when the bloc voting craze began, with Y&R dominating everything, with as many as 4 actors in a category. Then in 2001, it was a bloc voting party for AMC and ATWT.

My favorites were always when it was held at Radio City. It always seemed like daytime soaps were still a HOT genre, even up until 2005, when it would be held at Radio City. The audience response was always immense, especially for shows like DAYS and GH. I would've loved if it they were held there in 1999 when La Lucci won. Can you imagine the eruption from the audience?!

For a more thorough walk down Daytime Emmy memory lane, I encourage you to visit here: http://www.celebratingthesoaps.net/daytime-emmy-history.html

Still gotta update it for this year. smile.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

More like 1996-2000 were Y&R's bloc voting years, yet their winning record in the acting categories in those years wasn't that high.

1996: 0/10

1997: 2/11

1998: 1/8

1999: 2/12

2000: 3/16

So 8 wins out of 57 nominations over 5 years.

Archived