2015: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think JFP will bow out of YR which is why Pratt was picked and why he'd go to YR anyway. He will ultimately get total control over the series, particularly if the ratings spike in the next six months and I think they will because of new Adam and the Dixie/Kelly/Annie psycho plot. Plus B&B is on the upswing in ratings.

Days is going to be cancelled; it won't be renewed. There's no way to make it creatively viable given the financial constraints. Taping 5months ahead has strangled the life out of it. No American soap has ever been able to successfully do advance taping because the audience reaction to long term story developments is key to a show's success. The writers can't see at all how things are going to play out. The two main hooks in 2014 were Abby/EJ and wayward JJ and they botched both because they couldn't see the benefit of longer plays to those stories. It's sad because if they could film closer to air date and if they had even $1 million a year to spend on sets and location scenes, I think this writing team would be giving us much better traditional soap which I like!

• Administrator
Yes. I mistakenly put 14. smile.png

If what DC reported was true, that JFP wanted Pratt, why couldn't they co-exist like at GH? It doesn't make any sense for JFP to leave.

I don't think taping is an issue at all. It wasn't when ratings were up in late 2013 with Kristen's revelation. It's more about putting the right characters in the forefront, better storylines, and building up to a revelation - those things don't have anything to do with taping schedule.

• Members

Toups; I get your point too but I think that when their story and creative decisions are going terribly wrong or need major tinkering they are unable to do it. Soap writers have always worked from a bible but they've had the freedom to amend as the story played out.

These writers just can't consistently craft a fabulous Kristen style story each and ever year; no soap writer can. All shows go through cycles but the taping schedule has stripped them of the ability to modify and build on screen chemistry or to abort a terrible plot. Take for instance the whole Jordan plot. I bet if we read the pitch and long story it might sound refreshing: new villain from the ozarks etc. But this has been one of the worst stories they've done in years and mainly because the amount of time it took to tell and the lack of continuity and payoff; and most importantly, understanding and addressing audience response. The audience has labored through, and hated this Jordan plot. but the buzz around EJ/Abby sexual relationship was exciting. I know I was tuning in and I generally despise this version of Abby and like the portrayer even less.

• Members

From what I have observed of Tomlin's work over the years he is not really one to adapt according to viewer response (even moreso than most of TPTB); he does the stories and couples and characters he wants until he is fired. Also when the soap magazines used to do their "how much input do the viewers have?" articles Tomlin was always pretty blunt about it not having much/any sway with him. So I don't think lessening how far ahead the show is written/taped would help much.

And yeah there's no way Pratt has any interest in doing the work involved in actually producing Y&R. From what I have heard he doesn't exactly over-exert himself as a HW either. He sets down mandates re tone ("More guns and physical violence when characters confront each other!" ) and tosses out broad story arcs and leaves it to the associate headwriters to make it work. eg: "We need something for May sweeps so why don't we have a bunch of characters gunning for Adam... but he has that twin, right? - Stan?- and Stan gets killed by someone who mistakes him for Adam. Just come up with some motives you can work in really quickly; those aren't important. Make it a big mystery that gets us to November. Oh and we're switching up Erica/Adam and Ryan/Annie for Erica/Ryan and Adam/Annie because those pairings will get people talking. So get them together somehow. If you need me I'll be on the on the golf course with Bri-Bri!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

seems as if with all the moves Corday has made with his production company as of late that he's preparing for the end of Days and has begun moving his interests elsewhere. this latest hire of Higley might be a sign he has thrown in the towel and Days will end when its contract with NBC expires. I think he will then move Days to his new NetSoaps website he is co launching. Days future will be online and not at NBC

• Members

I think that's a good guess Toups. Iacubuzio is close to the Cullitons, Tomlin and Whitesell but she's only getting 2 scripts a month. I think Dena will bring back Fran Myers' son, John Newman, who's young/hip and was a darn good script writer.

I think Broderick will go along with Dave Ryan who she brought along from AMC. I think it's possible that they'll update the scriptwriters with younger, fresher voices (as they tried to do under MarDar). I wouldn't be surprises to see the Cullitons and Cherrill go. I think they would want to keep Salmons and of course Ford isn't going anywhere.

I could see them dumping Dunn and putting in place Beldner and/or Seidman. I think someone from YR will be dumped now that they are keeping Altman and Passanante as breakdown writers.

Archived