Y&R: January 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

LMBO!

How did I know before I viewed this thread that this debate over Devon and Jill would be happening. At the end of the day, IMO, Devon does have as much right to CI as Jill...and definitely more than con artist Cane. But you know what, if him being excluded from this story and Jill going it alone with her faux son and his buffoon daddy will stop people from all their damn bitching about Devon being Kay's only onscreen heir then so be it. Have at it Jill, buffoon, and the con. May CI forever be a Atkinson/Ashby owned company!

This show needs to recast Chance and have him fight along with Jill for CI. Maybe then they will have a decent chance of winning out against Victor. Especially if they were thinking of pairing him with one of Victor's insipid and uninteresting daughters. But as things stand...whistling.jpg

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But her time in the world of corporate business stories was short lived, just like all the other insta-business creations. The ones who have lasted are the ones who have had an Ivy League education and/or were shown( or given back story) of many years of working their way to success. We watched Jill start from the very bottom and work herself up the ladder over the decades. She wasn't given the top job at Jabot the first day she married John.

Yes, Devon got the money. We'll see if it's really good thing for the character. If Jill would have "got the money" when Phillip Chancellor died in 1975 I highly doubt Jill would still be around. Not getting it is what drove the drama for over 30 years.

Inheriting billions and running and learning about, the dead Grandma he never knew, business? SNOOZE Watching Dylan serve coffee would be more exciting. The wealthy Newman and Abbott heirs are more interesting. They are rich, but they still have conflict with Victor, or Ashley/Jack. The Newman kids victory over Victor was quickly forgotten after the kids won big sums of money because it kills the long story. Devon has billions coming from all directions so there's no need to worry about him. Yep Devon got the money, but what do you do with a character who has already achieved endgame?

• Members

I hated that story. It still does kill so many stories or makes me roll my eyes at them. Sharon/Nick's conflict over Faith makes no sense in a world where Nick can pay for 24/7 Nanny/nursing supervision. The idea that Victoria would be living in that 1950's house without body guards is insane. All of the children would be under constant threat of kidnapping. So many things don't add up when these characters are supposed to be billionaires.

I wouldn't really mind if they wanted to have Jill and Devon team up to get CI. I certainly agree that would be better than Collin who is a screw up and someone Jill should never trust. Devon and Victor go back though, not sure Devon would really bother to go after CI. He hasn't shown that kind of ambition for business. Guess that could change under Pratt.

• Members

So let's see, Devon shouldn't get it because:

1. He got alot of Kay's money (irrelevant)

2. He is not a Chancellor by birth (neither is Jill)

3. Kay wouldn't be able to give it to him if the affair with Devon's grandfather was known anyway (a reach)

4. Kay died a good person and so wouldn't cheat blood Chancellors out of their inheritance (an even bigger reach)

5. He will inherit from Tucker anyway (irrelevant)

6. Jill and Kay were the story longer than his connection (true but irrelevant...Jack and Victor have been the story longer than most of Victor's heirs have been living does that mean Jack should get Newman Enterprises upon Victor's death?)

And lastly,

7. Everything shouldn't be about Devon because it was last minute. (irrational)

tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

But hey, if it stops the bitching about Devon, then I am all for Jill, Colin, and Cane owning CI. But we know it won't stop the bitching because those people who bitch about it generally have issues larger than wanting Jill to own CI. wink.png

• Members

Fixed that for you.

As for characters how have reached endgame...you do the same thing you do with people like Victor or Jack.

Not just that. Neil is Devon's father. Why can't they build a real corporation together. Why not? That is a story I think many people would like to see for Neil, if not for Devon.

• Members

I'm all for Devon trying to get the business, but his character is defined byd oing something, getting bored, going on to the next thing...If he wants a part of CI, he should go for it. Unfortunately, his ambitions change from writer to writer, so next month he could be dating Harding. It's a shame because Devon could do a lot of things, but they never let him stick it out. Remember when he wanted to do music...then Jabot...then music...then???????then he inherited the money and bought the GCAC,remodeled it, now all he does is fawn over his stepmother. I hope they spin him a decent story, but with Pratt in charge, we may go back to Winters Wednesdays!

• Members

Having Jill and the Winters involved in CI could really be good for the show in the sense that most of the major players would belong to a business faction. That could set up some really great stories, if only someone involved with Y&R wrote those types of business stories. As it stands we get love potion number 9. dry.png

• Members

None of the younger cast has ever been given a clear direction. Devon suffers from this as the others do. Noah is the worst of the bunch. At least Devon did have a passion for music that was a running theme throughout his time on the show until this past year. Noah has NOTHING! And never has had anything. Lily has nothing although I do like her as manager of the club. Abby has a title in name only and I often wonder why she has it. They took the one person on the show that I truly believed had a clear direction and characterization for it and turned her into ninny headed heroine with no ambition...Victoria Newman.

They will soon make Fen a resident lawyer in training under his father, if Avery can spare the clients.

• Members

It even goes further back to Nick, who has had very little in terms of direction. Sure, he started the coffee house and he worked at Newman, but he's always felt basically directionless to me. That's one of the problems with giving all these characters a billion dollars. They never have to stick anything out. They could have made them all wealthy like the Abbots without taking it to the point where I don't even believe they would stay in Genoa City, never mind in these ugly, cheap sets we are supposed to believe are mansions.

• Members

Nick probably feels directionless because Joshua Morrow never worked in the role of Newman executive. And the dude bro persona he affects just comes across as not being very serious about anything except loving his children. That's the only genuine thing I see in Nick besides being horny.

• Members

Nick (and Sharon) had direction before Kay & Jack had him ditch Crimson Lights for Newman.

They were happy for quite awhile running their modest little business away from the constant corporate drama

Once Nick returned to Newman & eventually proved himself to be an utter failure as CEO it was all downhill.

That was one of the major problems (among many) with making him Victor's primary heir.

Nick (unlike his sister) has never had the business acumen to be anything but a mid level corporate executive.

The current crop of 20 & 30 Y&R characters are the ones who are really directionless (made even more apparent by the complete lack of business stories).

If there were at least one or two minor business stories happening for the younger characters to be involved in they would seem much more realistic.

Over the past few years the only way Y&R gives the younger set stories is by inventing new bars & clubs for them to manage.

It's readily apparent in a character like Abby who since she's been SORASED has had little to do (in between random chemistry tests & backburnered relationships) besides star in naked reality shows & unnecessarily terrorize her stepfather.

• Members

I didn't mind that Nick went to work at Newman and had it all handed to him over the more business savvy and more deserving sister who had earned it. I thought that at the end of the day that Victoria would be able to prove herself the heir apparent so I enjoyed the story and Victoria's fight. Silly child that I was had no idea that it would end this way with Victoria being so unrecognizable.

I don't think we will ever go back to business stories. This is a couple driven show with no actual real stories now and I don't see that changing.

Archived