Y&R: January 2015 Discussion Thread

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I will root for Devon and Hilary no matter what!

They could [!@#$%^&*] on top of a blind comatose and flatlining Neil and I would still root for them.

And here's why?

Writers fucked the characters and actors over with this bullshit SL for no damn reason. It sickens me what they have done to this young promising couple. And I still can't for the life of me come up with a legitimate reason to tell this story, this way, for this long..other than the obvious. But people don't like to hear that so I won't go there right now!

THE END!

• Members

When Bryton is given anything, he pulls through. Even this shitty mess, he makes work. He and Mishael Morgan have little to no dialogue most of the time. They are given nothing to attempt to soften the blow of this. Bryton gets even less for Devon than Mishael gets for Hilary. At least Hilary gets to pay lip service. Devon can't do that because he is written as the pursuer. And people dare want the actor gone as if he writes his own damn lines. Give me a break.

• Members

I want to like it but its just not interesting me.

As for Devon is a sh..crappy story that's it period. I give less than flying flip about seeing him in a triangle with his daddy feeling sorry for Hillary she married that old coot when Devon tried to stop her so she can just wallow in it could care less. I just want it over cuz it sucks. The actor has nothing to do with this.

But soap triangles aren't my favorite cup of tea because (IMO) for the most part they are very poorly written/executed...its a go to when writers need something. Its ingrained in the writing who will get the sympathy card, who will get thrown under the bus.... its not a true triangle its always skewered to who they want you to root for. I'm sitting here now trying to think of the last good triangle on a soap that I watched (in recent times). And nothing comes to mind.

• Members

Yes. It's always skewed! Always. And this rancid crap with Neil/Hilary/Devon is some of the worst one sided crap I have ever seen. Poor, blind, dupe, Neil who gives the Thanksgiving blessing and reads A Christmas Carol in braile as the wee little ones lean against his massive chest. It screams root for Neil at every turn because of EVUL DEVON, the mother !@#$%^&*], literally. And they can't even pull that off because Neil seems like a perv with all this sex talk about Hilary. So that lowers his rooting value as well. And Hilary is just there to look pretty and has no real POV. One scene she wants to have all Devon's babies and is living for the small moments with him and the next she can't meet him for one of those moments she lives for because it's "too complicated". These writers should have never tackled this. It's an abomination!

• Members

Back in the day, triangles weren't typically written to generate rooting value/sympathy for one potential couple over the other. But you're right in this regard with Devon/Hillary/Neil. The story didn't need to be told if the end game was Devon/Hillary. I actually liked Neil with Leslie and they should have stayed together, IMO. There was enough going on with Hillary vs. Winters that would have made for a good "forbidden lovers" SL with her and Devon. The other shitty part for me is that they've taken all of Hillary's edge away with this story.

This was a long time ago, but the last triangle that I thoroughly enjoyed was the Alan-Michael/Eleni/Frank story on GL. Well, at least the beginning of it, because of the reasons I mentioned above. There wasn't a "bad" guy in the traditional sense, although AM was written as a gray character.

Thanks, I missed yesterday's show. I don't think Tobias knows about the other spy, at least from what I've seen and why would Ashley think there's someone else? Did she say why she believes there's another spy apart from him?

• Members

I think the other spy does turn out to be Abby and that she is trying to make it look like Stitch. This would have great consequences when it came out. Ashley would be devastated that Abby turned on her and give her something great to play. Plus, Abby has never liked Stitch so it would make sense she is trying to get him away from Victoria by making it look like he was working with Victor. Besides, who else could it be? It's not like they show a lot of people in that small lab!

• Members

Good point, I was thinking that Abby was a possibility as well, IF they explain her motivations for doing it. She has been taking samples of the formula, afterall.

I was just thowing out there the possibility that it's Joe, given what most think will happen to him. Although to have him involved in two of Victor's shenanigans might not work.

• Members

This Phyllis/Kelly mindfuck mystery is actually legitimately compelling, almost too much so for the rest of what has been a largely lousy show. Same with the very gothic Gabriel/Adam/Sage stuff, and that great house set.

• Members

That's because Devon and Hilary didn't start out as the end game couple IMO. That was Neil and Hilary. TPTB gave that pairing every advantage to work. It was free and clear. Even gave viewers a reason to want Neil to move on and find love by having Leslie randomly marry, off screen, someone she had just met. Unfortunately, Neil and Hilary fizzled as soon as they hit the screen. After that, I think that the writers thought to just tell a scintillating tale and end it right when Mishael Morgan's contract was up (this April, I do believe) so that they could send her on her way like every other WOC that didn't catch on with Neil. Some sort of way, Devon and Hilary did catch on. So now they are somewhat stuck because CBS seems to like the pairing. The network likes to pretend at diversity, you know.

Kelly and Phyllis are interesting. It's hard to tell which is actually telling the truth.

• Members

I would like it if the Phyllis/Kelly story ended up being someone else involved and that neither one of them was the one trying to set up the other....(especially over Jack!) ...but I have no idea who or how it would work. Usually stories can be scene coming for miles but this one has me constantly going back and forth. That alone makes me like it.....then throw in CM and GT sparring and I'm there.

Archived